Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

clunker bill b.s.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 04:52 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

I almost did it. My 99 Cherokee is worth about 2 grand at best. I could get 4500 trading it for an Escape. Most of what I've seen going in are old minivans and Explorers.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:00 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
I think the cash for clunkers deal is a bad idea. I read that they are going to drop it soon.

I don't want to see the older cars dissapear to the crusher. Also, what if somone that owns a clunker gets a newer car they can't afford to make payments on then it gets repoed. Thats not good for the economy.
the thing is though if you read up on the bill the car themselves are not actually crushed.

the engine gets sodium silicate dumped in it and then run which will sieze the engine.

from there the car is given to a salvage auction and they have to turn it around in 3 days or its given to a junk yard.

the drive train itself (minus engine) can be sold in parts but not complete (trans, shaft,rear)

then from there the rest of the car can be parted out and sold as parts.

after 180 days the chassis itself has to be crushed.

so if anything its adding car parts for people to use as well.

at that though the car sites i frequent tha thave guys posting pictures of the cars they received as part of the program are mostly 15 yrs old or newer.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
I think the cash for clunkers deal is a bad idea. I read that they are going to drop it soon.

I don't want to see the older cars dissapear to the crusher. Also, what if somone that owns a clunker gets a newer car they can't afford to make payments on then it gets repoed. Thats not good for the economy.
We'll have a bail out the " I can't pay for my car" scam.....?
Old 07-31-2009, 06:57 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65rangoon
the thing is though if you read up on the bill the car themselves are not actually crushed.

the engine gets sodium silicate dumped in it and then run which will sieze the engine.

from there the car is given to a salvage auction and they have to turn it around in 3 days or its given to a junk yard.

the drive train itself (minus engine) can be sold in parts but not complete (trans, shaft,rear)

then from there the rest of the car can be parted out and sold as parts.

after 180 days the chassis itself has to be crushed.

That kind of sounds like when they describe death by lethal injection.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:35 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

haha yea ...

oh and the dealer has to inform you of the scrap value and they cannot keep more then $50 of the scrap value to help cover "documentation fees"
Old 07-31-2009, 09:17 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Cash for clunkers is a great way to get used cars off the market and force people to buy new cars...it's a great government plan for the government, seeing as how they're the majority owner in one of the largest new car manufacturers....HMMMMMMM.....

And just so you know....

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE THE CARS.GOV SITE TO CHECK OUT THE CASH FOR CLUNKERS PROGRAM. If you click the link to apply for the rebate(primarily done by dealers) you have to agree to the privacy act statement, which then causes a message to pop up saying something to the effect of "This computer is now connected to a government database and is therefore classified as a government computer system and is therefore property of the United States Government, and all information on, transmitted to and transmitted from this computer is US government property." Nice little end run around the 4th Amendment.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:28 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Cash for clunkers is a great way to get used cars off the market and force people to buy new cars...it's a great government plan for the government, seeing as how they're the majority owner in one of the largest new car manufacturers....HMMMMMMM.....

And just so you know....

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE THE CARS.GOV SITE TO CHECK OUT THE CASH FOR CLUNKERS PROGRAM. If you click the link to apply for the rebate(primarily done by dealers) you have to agree to the privacy act statement, which then causes a message to pop up saying something to the effect of "This computer is now connected to a government database and is therefore classified as a government computer system and is therefore property of the United States Government, and all information on, transmitted to and transmitted from this computer is US government property." Nice little end run around the 4th Amendment.
HOLY CRAP WTF

That's scary... I wonder if its just for Microsoft Windows and not Linux
Old 08-01-2009, 07:51 AM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

awesome way to post tha tup and not show a screen shot of it or other info to back it up lol
Old 08-01-2009, 11:37 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If you'd like to log on to it and let your computer become property of the Federal Government, go right ahead...and you can post the screenshot.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:58 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
If you'd like to log on to it and let your computer become property of the Federal Government, go right ahead...and you can post the screenshot.
funny you say its when you go to apply for the rebate.

1) the rebate form is nothing but a peice of paper you fill out at the dealer. This is only found at the end of "the rules" pdf.

when opening that pdf nothing pops up about the gov owning the comp from there on out.

2) you go to the dealer portion (as you say its typically a dealer applying) and there is still no option for applying.

sooo im still not seeing anything, i even tried finding it and yet you still have not provided any proof of your claim.

Quick Reply: clunker bill b.s.