Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Upper and lower control arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:36 AM
kurupt
1st Gear Member

Default Upper and lower control arms

I'm looking to change my upper and lower control arms when I change the shocks and springs. I was looking at ORP (Opentrackerracing.com) street upper (non roller) and lower control arms.

Will the roller control make a big difference in the way the car performs on a track and around corners??

I am using my car as a daily driver/street car but it will see the strip and track every now and then.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Joe1967
2nd Gear Member

anything that will reduce the amout of effort it takes for the suspension to function, e.g. reduce friction and open range of motion. will maker it perform better

roller parts reduce friction and can react to the spring and shock rate for more response.

in additon to the control arms, a good upgrade if you dontahve it al ready is the shelby 1" drop,with stock control arms 1" [my space barjust broke, bare with me] is as far as you should go to prevent ball joint binding, but since your are upgrading already and are interested in a lower drop they sell contorl arms updated to accept a lower shelby drop.

Also the springs and shocks you choose will contribute to handlign aswell
Old 08-01-2009, 10:29 AM
trashline
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kurupt
I'm looking to change my upper and lower control arms when I change the shocks and springs. I was looking at ORP (Opentrackerracing.com) street upper (non roller) and lower control arms.

Will the roller control make a big difference in the way the car performs on a track and around corners??

I am using my car as a daily driver/street car but it will see the strip and track every now and then.
make your own.

http://bcpcustom.com/TechSection.html
Old 08-01-2009, 11:37 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Roller won't really make the car handle any better, it will just make it a lot smoother(vs a poly bushing at least). Bushings, especially poly, will still move but transfer more energy to the chassis in the process, roller reduces friction and as a result transfers less energy to the chassis. Rubber bushings are good at absorbing energy but deflect a lot so the alignment changes and handling is reduced. Poly bushings are very rigid and don't deflect, so alignment stays the same, but they transfer more energy rather than absorbing it. Roller bearings move freely and convert mechanical energy to heat, so virtually none is transferred to the chassis...bushings take the mechanical motion of the control arms and absorb it either by distorting(rubber, converting 1 form of mechanical motion to another) or dissipating it into surrounding material(poly, which transfers it into the surrounding metal in the chassis).

Roller is preferred if you want to spend the money, the performance of poly but with a very nice ride and without squeaks. Poly is preferred for performance, but may squeak(if properly cleaned and greased they shouldn't) and will ride harsher. And rubber is cheap, rides reasonably well but has the poorest performance of all 3.

Definitely relocate the control arms though.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:03 PM
kurupt
1st Gear Member

How do the ORP roller upper and lower control arms compare to something like Global West upper and lower control arms? Seeing how the ORP upper control arms are about $600 and the Global West ones are about the same price I want to get the best ones I can get for what I'm paying for.

What do you guys think? ORP or Global West?? Or just go with the non roller from ORP??
Old 08-01-2009, 04:58 PM
htwheelz67
3rd Gear Member

ORP's are great but I got my GW UCA's for 550.00 and I think they are a quality peice.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:58 PM
kurupt
1st Gear Member

Is it worth it getting roller UCA's or global west UCA's on a street car? Or should I just go with the non roller UCA's from ORP?? It will see the strip and maybe the track once in a while but for the most part it will be a cruiser. I like the feel of being able to go around curves on the road with minimal body roll and not have it bumpy as hell. That probably has more to do with the shocks and springs I get but if I'm doing suspension work now I might as well spend the money now than later on.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:11 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

My view is if you're going to go as far as roller arms, you might as well upgrade to a stiffer tubular arm.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:31 PM
kurupt
1st Gear Member

Does anyone know why there's no one at Open Tracker Racing Products answering emails or returning calls?? I emailed them last week and called and left voicemail but there was no reply back.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:19 AM
kurupt
1st Gear Member

If not ORP where can I get the parts from?? Hows Mustangsplus for parts and how quick are they?

Quick Reply: Upper and lower control arms