Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Sequential Tail Lights Incandescent

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

I have had both versions.

Incandescent version worked fine, but was hot and a bit of a pain to install, compared to the led version. As far as the heat warning on the 3-bulb version goes, heat wasn't really a problem. I have orig stock lenses. I sat on the brake pedal in bumper to bumper in blazing So Cal heat for hours many times in the 3 years I used the lights and they never warped the lenses. Perhaps warping/melting is possible with aftermarket lenses, but I checked mine constantly in the beginning because of the warning, and the heat was never that bad.

Over a long time, I could see the wiring where it connects to the reflector breaking down from years of heat, but it would take a lot more heat to ever melt the lenses. I thought of drilling holes in the Scott Drake relector to allow more heat to escape, but it was never really necessary.

I've had the led ones for a year or so now, and they are better. You use the stock reflector, and just plug in the lights with one socket as if they were bulbs. You have to remove the reflector once to plug in the light and that's it. Installation took about 10 min. The leds are bright and look great. There are no heat issues.

CP

Last edited by Carlos Pineiro; 09-13-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:59 PM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

I was unaware that the kit would not work with the LED 1157 bulbs...but then again, I bought my kit before any of the LED bulbs or conversions were on the market (which would explain the absence in the instructions). I got my kit shortly after they hit the market...one of the original sequential conversion kits. They function just like the OEM lights...the only difference is that there are 6 bulbs instead of 2 and they sequence.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:48 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SuperHoss
I was unaware that the kit would not work with the LED 1157 bulbs...but then again, I bought my kit before any of the LED bulbs or conversions were on the market (which would explain the absence in the instructions). I got my kit shortly after they hit the market...one of the original sequential conversion kits. They function just like the OEM lights...the only difference is that there are 6 bulbs instead of 2 and they sequence.

Thats why I want them, because they look factory. The LED ones just don't quite look factory. At least to me.

I got Scott Drake to email me the PDF file for the instructions to see what all was involved with installing them, and it says to only use regular 1157 bulbs.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 09-13-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:50 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Carlos Pineiro
I have had both versions.

Incandescent version worked fine, but was hot and a bit of a pain to install, compared to the led version. As far as the heat warning on the 3-bulb version goes, heat wasn't really a problem. I have orig stock lenses. I sat on the brake pedal in bumper to bumper in blazing So Cal heat for hours many times in the 3 years I used the lights and they never warped the lenses. Perhaps warping/melting is possible with aftermarket lenses, but I checked mine constantly in the beginning because of the warning, and the heat was never that bad.

Over a long time, I could see the wiring where it connects to the reflector breaking down from years of heat, but it would take a lot more heat to ever melt the lenses. I thought of drilling holes in the Scott Drake relector to allow more heat to escape, but it was never really necessary.

I've had the led ones for a year or so now, and they are better. You use the stock reflector, and just plug in the lights with one socket as if they were bulbs. You have to remove the reflector once to plug in the light and that's it. Installation took about 10 min. The leds are bright and look great. There are no heat issues.

CP
Thanks for the response. Thats good to know that you didn't have problems with your Scott Drake setup. I really am starting to think that the Mustang Project LED is the smart and simple way to go. It will only take a few minutes to install and doesn't get hot. I just like the incandescent look and the way they operate better.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 09-14-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:19 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Ask MP how much more it would be to get an LED setup that does what YOU want, then you get the best of both worlds, as long as its not too expensive...

I don't know if it will be as easy to install though
Old 09-14-2009, 07:25 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

I plan on going with MP LED taillights as well in the near future for my 69. I'm just trying to decide if I want the sequential or not.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:43 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I would definitely get sequential for any 65-70 Mustang. The tail light configuration just begs for it.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 09-14-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:43 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I have decided to get the Scott Drake incandescant setup. I just don't think the LED look goes with my car. I'll probably order them this week.

Should I order the tail light housing to body pads / gaskets?

Last edited by tx65coupe; 09-14-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:41 PM
flickjo68
1st Gear Member

I would order the new gaskets. Whenever I have taken the lights off of of my car, the old gaskets were usually messed up and for the cost of the new ones I would think you'd be better off.
By the way, do you mind telling me the price of the incandescent kit?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:46 PM
tarafied1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67 evil eleanor
The old dynamite sticks work OK "provided" you use the correct flasher, its a special HD one that will handle the extra load and keep in time, however this will vary with the voltage. This is the most common error people make when replacing the flasher, its just the wrong one. Their sequence of flash was very original to the "day" and the light will "flow" across. I also have a SS unit with filiment bulbs that works very well in the 67. No LED's for me.
I did my Cougar tail light conversion before the remake of the Gone in 60 movie. I did the scrounging thru the junkyard thing too. I have the dynomite sticks. I wired in relays to prevent burning up the turn signal switch. The bulbs are brighter and look factory. No LED's for me either!

Quick Reply: Sequential Tail Lights Incandescent