Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Intake Manifold Gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:07 PM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Looks fine dude, might want to use a wire brush or if you have one or one you can put in a drill and buff it with.
Do you have any sandpaper? That works well if you do it carefully.

Smear a lil RTV on both surfaces, put your gasket on, and slap that baby on there bud
Old 10-20-2009, 10:48 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

those four small gaskets are used at the center, one on each side of the intake. once you have your long intake gaskets in place you'll recognize where they go. One set is open the other is closed or blocks off the port. This port passes hot air from side to side, under the carb and designed to pre-heat fuel. most hp minded guys block off those ports, trying to achieve the coolest fuel possible.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:10 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

ok so i nstalled the manifold back on and am a little worried for the rear end seal rtv is not completley flush with the manifold and the block in about a half inch section

my rtv had been setting for 10-15 minutes before the manifold was dropped and since it is not flush there does that mean i am going to have an oil leak at that place? I put rtv evenly across the rear end seal but somehow it didnt seep through at this part

At this point i have torqued the manifold down to 20lbs so i figure i will wait 24 hours and see what happens.

Am i at risk starting my engine or will i just have a massive oil leak if my job failed? Also since the gaskets are fresh if i have to re-do this job due to my fail at spreading rtv 1/4" thick will it be easily removed and re cleaned?

As this is a learning process for me having to do it again would just be a kick in the *** and i would know for now on how to change it properly so i have no problem

what i dont want though is for my engine to go bye bye but i imagine this would just create a vaccum leak/ oil leak????

How would i test for a vaccum leak in this area will the carb cleaner spray work?

thank you for all the help
Old 10-21-2009, 03:02 AM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Nah it'll just bleed a little there if the seal isn't good. I think you will be good to go however, try it out and see, gaskets are cheap and popping an intake off and on is not a job in any sense.

And bud there is no pressure in that area if what you mean is vaccum loss. You are just closing a gap up, thats it.
You'd get a leak if one of the intake ports were'nt mated up right....then when you sprayed back there it would suck it up through the valley and into the port.

Last edited by EZFEED; 10-21-2009 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:05 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

the part where the rtv does not come out the side is the part where on the block in the rear passenger side there is a little circle and the rear main seal goes around this circle

i am not sure if anybody knows what i am talking about and unfortunately i did not

here is the hole i speak of and the marked red is where gasket material is not flush with the end of the manifold

am i going to have problems?

the front looks perfect btw
Old 10-21-2009, 03:15 AM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Can you finger some in there to seal it? A syringe works pretty good right here as well. You know....I had this problem on a tunnel ram setup I was building for a 4X4. It was just a little void cast into the block. I let everything cure then squirted some in there and packed it with my finger. Worked like a charm.

Here's the thing....this area if its not sealed up will usualy yeild a leak. 1. The engine is angled back a little this way to drain and 2. the resulting puddle gets splashed around allot by the two rear lifters. Just try your best to dam it up with RTV. Kinda sucks that little plug is there, if I had known that I'd have said go to the auto parts store and cut a piece of sheet gasket material to close this up back there.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:27 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Thank you EZFEED

well i left the carb off for like a week and just put it back on now and i start the car and get rid off all the black exhaust crap by holding the gas a little and now it is idling real rough

do i still need to run the gas through to clear it out or is this some kind of vaccum leak?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:04 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

coud i have messed up my timing? i thought that would be pinging?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:58 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by nba1341
coud i have messed up my timing? i thought that would be pinging?

did you remove the dizzy?? of so it might be off slightly
Old 10-28-2009, 08:38 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Unless you took the dizzy off when you took the intake off, I would guess the timing did not change and more than likely you have a vacuum leak or a poor seal on the intake or carb.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Gasket replacement