Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Our '65 coupe project, so it begins (Lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:02 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by toddpthayer
Good stuff. How'd you handle the lead?

Todd
Thanks,
Pretty much like this guy did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf7zhin8UoU
I used a small bottle of propane to do it though.
It was easier then I thought it would be to do. It didn't take much heat to get it molten. I just took a big wire brush and went at it with the torch and brush.
Lynn
Old 07-21-2011, 08:14 PM
PureStatus
Banned

That is awesome Lynn you have put so much work in. I hope to know as much as you do about cars some day.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:36 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Thanks!
I went to Votech auto mechanics school when I was in High School in '84-'86, but I have never done anything like this before.
This is my first time for doing anything like this.
Lynn
Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Rudder

Wow, this thread is heckofa motivator! Keep updating and the great work!
Old 08-14-2011, 03:55 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Well after a three week break from the car to regather my senses I got back at it today all nice and fresh.

After taking the quarter panel on and off 10+ times trying to fit it before my break and today I got the quarter panel 95% fitted and the rear wheel well patch is now tacked into place.

I screwed up the lower quarter at the rocker panel seam, so it will be finished with a seamless look when done, and the other side will be done to match. We are going with the rocker moldings anyway and it will be hard to tell the seam is missing unless your really looking for it.

I will also loose the seam at the top of the quarter for a seamless look as well. I saw it done at Long Branch NY car show on a car that looked like ours when done and it looked great and we will do the same.
Our car is not a concurs car and I will not worry about it.

Once I get the rear wheel well done I'll paint everything up and then put the quarter panel on.

I will not go through this full panel replacement again on the other side and I will take the full quarter I got for it and skin the old one on the passenger side. I don't care if there is more filler in the skin or not, but I know it won't be that hard to fit it as what I'm going through now. Besides, that gives me experience on doing both styles of repair at one time. LOL!!!

I want to try and get the other quarter done by it is time to close up for the winter and I will be ecstatic if I can get the cowl started before then.
Lynn
Old 09-17-2011, 07:00 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Not much of an update, with hurricane Irene and the flood of 2011 the past two/three weeks I haven't had much time to work on the car lately.
I got the under structure all done, clean, and painted, I just got to paint the back side of the quarter panel and I can put it on.

Wheel well inside all done, I just got to put undercoat or truck bed line in there over the Chassis Saver.

I was hoping to have both quarters put on at this point, but time has gotten the better of me the last part of summer.
Lynn
Old 09-25-2011, 06:48 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Update...
I got the left quarter panel almost welded in now.

I got to finish the sail panel area and do the inside trunk area.

Right side quarter panel has started to come out.

I got tired of having all my new tools that I have gotten for the car laying on and in the car and all over the floor and on chairs. I got my new baby last night and loaded her up today.

My old tool box is 26 years old. I had that old girl for a long time..... I hope she likes the new one. LOL!!!
Lynn
Old 10-09-2011, 11:07 PM
lucasp
2nd Gear Member

maybe a stupid question, but what are torque boxes?
Old 10-09-2011, 11:17 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

piece of sheetmetal that tires your rocker panels and front frame rail together where the firewall meets the floor iirc they were not stock till 67 or mid 67 but they are a worthwhile upgrade
Old 10-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Couper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lucasp
maybe a stupid question, but what are torque boxes?
The rusted out pieces of metal underneath the toe board.

Quick Reply: Our '65 coupe project, so it begins (Lots of pics)