Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Compression question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 07:43 AM
hotrod351
2nd Gear Member

my 70 302 has 180 in each cylinder. you need a valve job. that will even the compression out. i had harden seats put in mine, because its a 70 engine and id already burnt one valve and seat. ive put over 60,000 miles since the valve job and it still doesnt burn a drop of oil.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:16 AM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

No he doesn't "NEED" a valve job. His newest readings are fine for a stock engine. He wanted to see if the bottom end is in good enough shape for some modifications he is planning and I would say it is good enough. If those modifications weren't already planned, I would say just leave it alone and drive it.

To OP - If it were my engine I would do the following just before breaking it down to do heads, intake, whatever you have planned. Warm the engine up real good and then remove the air cleaner. Next, get a pump spray bottle and fill it with water. With the engine running, spray water into the carburetor throats. The water will travel into the engine where it will become steam and thereby steam clean the cylinders, pistons, valves, and combustion chamber. You will see all of this coming out the tail pipe but don't be concerned. I try to spray fast enough that the engine begins to stumble, and keep spraying for a minute or so. You can also use Sea-foam for this. I usually do water and then follow up with sea foam. You can also do this through a vacuum port, but is not necessary on an old carbureted engine like our Mustangs have. If you do this simple treatment, the inside of the engine will be nice and clean when you pop the heads off. BTW sea foam has a video of their treatment here
Old 12-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Rusty68Stang

Originally Posted by 109jb
No he doesn't "NEED" a valve job. His newest readings are fine for a stock engine. He wanted to see if the bottom end is in good enough shape for some modifications he is planning and I would say it is good enough. If those modifications weren't already planned, I would say just leave it alone and drive it.

To OP - If it were my engine I would do the following just before breaking it down to do heads, intake, whatever you have planned. Warm the engine up real good and then remove the air cleaner. Next, get a pump spray bottle and fill it with water. With the engine running, spray water into the carburetor throats. The water will travel into the engine where it will become steam and thereby steam clean the cylinders, pistons, valves, and combustion chamber. You will see all of this coming out the tail pipe but don't be concerned. I try to spray fast enough that the engine begins to stumble, and keep spraying for a minute or so. You can also use Sea-foam for this. I usually do water and then follow up with sea foam. You can also do this through a vacuum port, but is not necessary on an old carbureted engine like our Mustangs have. If you do this simple treatment, the inside of the engine will be nice and clean when you pop the heads off. BTW sea foam has a video of their treatment here
Thats funny, I was just heading out the door to go pickup some seafoam and I decided to check and see if anyone had added anything else. Yeah, I figuire those Higher cylinders are probably just carbon buildup so I thought about the seafoam treatment last night to help it out. Ive done it on my lightning a couple of times and it helped a little but I keep in with new filters and fuel system cleaners and only run 93+ in it, so I expect to see a lot more out of this mustang. I know I dont need the heads done, BUT my buddy does heads for a living so why not if I can get it done right at a good price right.

so does anyone have a cam suggestion?
Old 12-31-2009, 09:38 AM
blue66mustang
2nd Gear Member

If you like Comp Cams you can download thier Cam Quest 6.0 for free. iIt might help you with your selection.