Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

351 Windsor Build up

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:38 AM
69stangcollector

Lightbulb 351 Windsor Build up

Hello I am new to this site and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions about making a non roller block 351 more powerful. The engine is in a 1969 Ford Mustang Coupe and I was wondering how fast can I make this car go with this engine backed by a original 3 speed tranny. I have already added an edelbrock aluminum intake and edelbrock 600 cfm four barrel carb I just dont think that it is fast enough and was wondering about either reasonably priced stroking it or proven add ons. I am looking to spend $1000-$1500 on this engine and see reasonable results. I am looking at either trickflow heads or edelbrock heads, but beyond that I am at an end. I am still in the planning stage at this point and would like to hear what you guys think.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:55 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

what type of aluminum intake did you get. If it was a airgap or RPM intake, you could just finish the top end package (heads, and a cam) to match and some long tube headers. Or sell that intake and pick up something that would match. And it would be a beast.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:26 PM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

If you're motor is otherwise stock and you already have headers and exhaust then you've just about reached its max potential. You definitely need heads and a cam my friend.

Don't go with Trick-Flow on stock pistons. If the valves are canted they may hit the pistons. AFR makes the best in terms of aluminum heads in my opinion. For your budget you are going to want to look on the cheaper side though. Don't be afraid of a good ported cast-iron head, DO HOWEVER BE AFRAID of cheap aluminum heads.
Stay away from Pro-Comp, too many problems and you get what you pay for.

Assuming you can do all the installation yourself you could probably get er done for around 1500$ if you really work at it and look for good deals. It's going to be a close one though. Heads, cam, (you already have an intake it sounds like) and exhaust will definitely wake that motor up.

I'm not sure how fast you want to go but hit up Summit Racing and look for some deals. Hedman headers are good and the best for the money, but make sure you have oval port gaskets for them and make sure they fit the ports well or they will leak (everyone has gone to this oval port design now), (the shorty 351w headers fit well and are actually a mid-length header and make good power). Im partial to Comp's camshafts. In a flat-tappet hydraulic I like the magnum cams and the extreme energy series. Just get the one that will work well with whatever heads you go with. Don't be afraid to call their tech line and ask them what they recommend. With your budget as far as heads I'd check into getting yours ported out a bit, or maybe get a set of world products cast iron Windsor Sr's. They are already decent out of the box and have a LOT of meat for more porting. I think the World Products are under a grand $ new last I checked but don't quote me on that.

Your biggest expense and the most important thing is going to be heads and a cam to match. You also will need a better carb, and well all that's going to set you above your budget I think. Good luck man. If you really buy on the cheap (buy used parts and clean them up or get some really good deals on new stuff) eBay and Craigslist are your friend, just watch out for scammers.

Last edited by bwkelley76; 01-17-2010 at 09:44 PM.