Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Front end is a money pit...argggg

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 04:09 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by skiprCH
Hi all,
I brought my car to the big city to see if I can get it to steer right on the highway. They replaced the lower ball joints. That did not do it. They rebuilt the power steering slave cylinder. That did not do it. By the way that make two rebuilds on the slave cylinder. After 4 different shops and god knows how much money now every thing in the front end is new and it still tracks like crap. It seems to want to walk out of the worn part of the highway and needs constant correction. The shop now says maybe it is the worn rear leaf springs for another 900.00 bucks. I still think it is the alingment. Maybe they got the wrong specs on a '65? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thx, Walt
Do you have a printout of the current alignment specifications?

I recommend you take it to a mustang specific place and get an estimate. Where do you live?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Chris Kennedy
1st Gear Member

Hi!

My STRONG recommendation is to go with a rack and pinion set-up. I had many of the frustrations you did, and put in a total control products rack. Other people really like the Randall (?) Rack. That took care of all problems, and you can sell the old parts to reduce the cost!

Regards,
/s/ Chris Kennedy
Old 02-05-2010, 06:33 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Most alignment/suspension shops actually don't know jack crap about suspension OR alignment. They just know how to use the machine and turn a wrench and think they understand. All they do is plug in factory alignment specs and diddle with crap until they get it there, without understanding what actually has what effect.

And you can buy old school bubble gauge alignment equipment and get some roller plates and align your own car, but it's a bit of a pia.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:09 AM
skiprCH
2nd Gear Member

Default Car is fixed! Thx fer the tips!!!!!!!

hi all,
Went to the alingment shop with the Daze's alingment specs. They said it would not make a difference but they were wrong. The car drives GREAT now.
Thx!!!!!!
Walt
Old 02-06-2010, 11:51 AM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
I would love to hear how you are going to do your alignment yourself.
... they make tools to do it.

after all the actual machines with laser alignment etc werent around until the last what 10 years?

i always find it humorous how people forget that the technology to make a job easier was not always around. there are verious ways to go about it.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:03 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by skiprCH
hi all,
Went to the alingment shop with the Daze's alingment specs. They said it would not make a difference but they were wrong. The car drives GREAT now.
Thx!!!!!!
Walt
And that right there just proves my point about alignment and suspension shops not knowing what the hell they're doing. They think it won't make a difference because they have 0 clue about how alignment effects a car, and they think the factory book specs are the be all and end all.

And incidentally, the specs that Daze recommends are very similar or nearly identical to specs recommended by companies that actually engineer steering and suspension components.