Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

converting to electric fan ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:15 PM
FoMoJoe
2nd Gear Member

try this too: Mark 8 Fan

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/10/Mark8Fan/
Old 02-10-2010, 08:38 PM
ozarks06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65Coupester
The Taurus with the 3.0L has a dual fan, that wont fit.
You need the single fan out of a 3.8L.

I got one fan from a dual fan Taurus and made a shroud.
If you are into electronics you cam make a fan controller real easy.
That's what I did using the stock ECT sender, a small circuit, and 2 relays.
Correct, forgot to metion you want a 90-95 Taurus 3.8L fan (that is, if you want a Taurus fan).
Old 02-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Cruzzar
1st Gear Member

Kalli, did Ford produce the Contour or similiar vehicle in Europe? The 95-99 Contour had a dual fan with rectangular shroud that measured 24.19W X 15.875H X 3.4 thick. It has two fans, is rated at 3400 cfm and because of the offset fans, does not interfer with the water pump. You would still need a controler but if produced in Europe, it would be easier to find than a Tarus or MkVIII fan. Just an idea.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:08 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

thx for all the ideas and article. and yes, Europe is the biggest problem. doifferent cars :-( However since you say Contour dual fan, so tyhat brings me to a Ford Mondeo fan:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-MONDEO-MK...item3359ec2a75

Does it look similar to this? I might just ask the seller to measure all around

Kalli
Old 02-11-2010, 09:39 AM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Hi Kalli,

What is the motivation behind the swap? Noise? Efficiency? Addiction to modifications ?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Cruzzar
1st Gear Member

Yes, I believe the Mondeo was the European counterpart (couldn't remember the name the other day). Check the dimensions on the fan that's listed. It looks exactly like the Contour's fan. The dimensions I gave you are from edge to edge of the shroud and does not include the brackets. Send a question to the seller and verify. Check to see if they would match up with your radiator. Good luck.
I don't have any cheap suggestions for a controller other than those that are listed. Dakota Digital, Ron Francis, SPAL, etc. all have controllers. Ron Francis just came out with a controller that will turn one fan on at one temp. and the second fan on at a higher temp. You can set the temps. for each of the fans to turn on. It also has the ability to turn the fans on when the AC comes on (you probably are not really concerned with that function). Most of the above controllers are rather pricey$$$$$.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:27 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

nice one, thx. I asked the seller. I'm in no hurry with it, but why not gather parts and pieces on the way. I'm quite sure I'll figure something for the controller

Remi: one of the factors would be more top end HP. But that actually doesn't bother me in the slightest. The simple reason behind this is:

when my car is driving (doesn't really matter what speed) the car stays at temperature
when the car is stopped and idling, the temperature slowly creeps up. I can bring it down to operating temperature, by just revving the engine for a minute or driving. it goes straight back down then.
So it's not really a hassle, but with summer coming up I'm not looking forward to stand in a queue for a carshow idling nor traffic jams.

It's simply that the fan is not efficient enough at idle. If I'd use a thermo controlled fan, then I'd have the advantage (HP) that the fan wouldn't rob power as i'm moving anyway, but it doesn't help a tad at idle. It won't go any quicker. I wouldn't like to swap pulleys again to have it run quicker. A solution could already be to set idle at ~1000

With an electric fan I'd get both effects: HUGE amount of air moved at idle when car gets too warm and nothing happening on freeway ....
If I use power from battery as original source before relay and have it independant of ignition it might even blow out warm air after I switch off the car (but that's only a nice to have)

In any case I don't have any overheating issue as I can rectify, but I prefer it sorted sooner or later

Kalli
Old 02-12-2010, 10:35 AM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

Here is a 16 inch slim fan and a really good write up from an Ebay dealer who races. 2500 CFM.
Lifetime warranty for $34
The ad has some very good information and tips in it on what to look for and avoid with fans.
He also sells a temperature controller with a relay and circuit breaker to power it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUPER...item56386f5d82

I would have gone with this fan if I was doing it over again. I am happy with the fan I got from Speedway though.

Last edited by chris66dad; 02-12-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:13 PM
MuscratGT99
1st Gear Member

2500 cfm seems like ALOT for one 16" fan for some reason. I might be wrong.

I picked up Mishimoto fans and installed them as pushers and have yet to see any troubles.

Good luck with the conversion OP!
Old 02-13-2010, 05:12 PM
ic237
2nd Gear Member

My aftermarket radiator came with a 16 inch electric fan. I used the ignition wire on the crank relay to power up another realy dedicated to the electric fan. Its on all the time and doesnt give me any problems. Major diferences in noise. You will love it. I need the time to setup but I am taking a stab at this. The fan draws 13 amps with the car not moving. When you start to drive the current should go down since the load would be removed from the fan. Just make sure you get a slim fan. I cleared my water pump by a milimeter or 2.

Quick Reply: converting to electric fan ...