Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Header brand opinion needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:20 PM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

Default Header brand opinion needed

Well with the tax return I will be buying some headers and possibly a B303 cam for my 289. Not sure what brand to go with though. I had planned on either hooker, patriot, or tri-y. But one of my friends said not to buy patriot and he said he was looking at summit headers.
Would someone from experience give their opinion on what they have and like.
Also which would be better long tubes or shortys. I heard long tubes sometimes get in the way of the steering.
Any help is appreciated thanks
Old 02-09-2010, 06:45 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

i dont have much to say about headers, but the b303 or any letter cams like that are ****
Old 02-09-2010, 06:50 PM
72fastback
1st Gear Member

Default I just got Hookers

I just received my Hooker competition headers for my 351 Cleavland And they are a beute. Can't wait to put them on.Unfortunately I'm no expert but I've only heard good things about Hooker.I would also suggest getting ceramic coated it will help keep the engine bay cooler.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:26 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Doug's headers will fit the best. I plan on replacing my Hookers with a set of Doug's with my tax return money.

And yeah, don't get a Ford letter cam, at least buy a good Comp OTS grind, or go custom. But make sure you have the right springs and all the other crank you need for the cam.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:33 PM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

Alright thanks looks like I will be going with hooker headers. But would shorties or longtube be better. And I will probably wait on the cam for a later date.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:36 PM
FoMoJoe
2nd Gear Member

Not knowing if your car is auto or manual, be cautious when buying headers to make sure it will clear the mechanical linkage if it's manual. I forget if 67 had the clutch linkage connection point on the side of the engine block like my 65's 289 had. I ended up dropping in a 86 block 347 where there's no clutch hook up so went I with a cable clutch. At that point the Heddman Headers (long tube) touched the cable and burnt the cable until I rerouted the headers. Assuming you have stock which maybe the shorty's put the existing exhaust pipes in the same place, therefore not making you need to redo your whole exhaust system b/c you will have to do that if you go with long tubes. Long Tubes giet you more low end torque but if you want your car low or don't want to redo your whole exhaust might consider shorty's. Call up Mustangs Unlimited and they will tell you if the shorty's mate up to stock exhaust or not. Spend a little money on the headers, then end up spending more b/c of all the things you forgot... that's my story atleast. Clutch cable, new exhaust, modifying headers at the shop etc. etc. etc
Old 02-09-2010, 07:40 PM
FoMoJoe
2nd Gear Member

Also... having installed my long tubes multiple times due to the constant pipe tweaks I had to make, be prepared to lift your engine up in order to slide the long tubes in from below. I loosed the engine bolts and although not the best way to approach this... I put some wood on a jack and lifted from the oil pan. Go ceramic coated and keep them wrapped when slidding them up so you don't scratch them all to hell on the floor and in the engine bay during maneuvering
Old 02-09-2010, 07:50 PM
blue 67 coupe
2nd Gear Member

I have an automatic so it shouldn't be a problem. But I did find some shorty headers but they are $310.00

However I did find some hooker longtubes for $163.00

So I will probably make a call to the muffler shop that a friend works at pretty cheap. And get an estimate and see if he would do the longtubes and it end up being cheaper.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:03 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I'll chime in and vote for JBA.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:43 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

For street use you DEFINITELY want the small diameter, long tube headers. These will offer SIGNIFICANT power gain through the entire rev range. Shorties offer only minimal power improvement.

Quick Reply: Header brand opinion needed