Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Readily Available ZDDP Source?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 12:04 PM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Default Readily Available ZDDP Source?

Until the last couple of years or so I have relied on Chevron Delo as my single source of ZDDP in my old flat tappet engines. In the last couple of years, since the quantity of this additive has been reduced in the Diesel oils, I have moved to adding Comp Cams Break In Lube, about a half bottle per oil change.

I am getting sick of having to order this stuff. It's expensive and it's a hassle to order.

Does anyone know of any easily found additives with adequate ZDDP for the 20,000 miles or so after initial break in? Something available at the dreaded Auto Zone or Wal Mart maybe?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:13 PM
royalcrown
1st Gear Member

It's not an additive, but Valvoline VR1 has the ZDDP. A lot of people here use it including myself. Great Stuff.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:09 PM
68stangbbf

I use Lucas Oil... High TBN long drain truck oil buy it through Summit. Contains 1400 ppm ZDDP.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:38 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I just order Torco direct by the 5 gallon pail.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:41 PM
msmith
1st Gear Member

I order ZDDPlus from this site: http://www.davidnavone.com/zddplus.htm

I add one bottle per oil change to readily available oil.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:10 PM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

Why bother with additives?????
Autozone has Valvoline VR1, at least in 20w-50. It has 1300ppm ZDDP.
You can order lighter weights also thru Napa.
Most discount stores have Mobil1 15w-50 (only this weight has enough ZDDP).
Old 03-23-2010, 07:13 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

i run Valvoline VR1 in my old '65.

parts store back home carries 10w30.

i put it & a WIX filter on every spring no matter how many miles i put on.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Like many others, I run VR1. That said, STP oil additive supposedly has quite a bit of ZDDP in it.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:29 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the responses. What I am trying to determine is if there is something readily available LOCALLY.

I would use racing oil except it doesn't fit my usage. I will be using this engine for frequent driving. Racing oil is formulated for racing and in such situations, oil is changed after every race. For that reason, many additives are left out that are normally in oil for daily driven engines. Racing oil is great for cam break in and racing where it is changed often, but not for long oil change intervals such as seen in normal street driving.

My plan is to use an oil that has the detergents, water dispersal and the other additives necessary for regular use, THEN add the ZDDP for the flat tappet cam.

Does anyone know the concentration of ZDDP in STP?

Thanks again!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:25 AM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MBDiagMan
Thanks for the responses. What I am trying to determine is if there is something readily available LOCALLY.

I would use racing oil except it doesn't fit my usage. I will be using this engine for frequent driving. Racing oil is formulated for racing and in such situations, oil is changed after every race. For that reason, many additives are left out that are normally in oil for daily driven engines. Racing oil is great for cam break in and racing where it is changed often, but not for long oil change intervals such as seen in normal street driving.

My plan is to use an oil that has the detergents, water dispersal and the other additives necessary for regular use, THEN add the ZDDP for the flat tappet cam.

Does anyone know the concentration of ZDDP in STP?

Thanks again!
VR1 is one of the FEW racing oils that have the detergents. Roush oil says they have it too. (also made by Valvoline, probably the same product as VR1). Mobil1 (but only 15w-50 has enough ZDDP). Those are the only racing oils I know that have detergents. (and all are available locally, here)

You're right, many racing oils have very little detergent.
I've seen first hand how long term STP use can gunk up an engine, so I'm skeptical about other additives too. Cam-shield may be the best of the additives since they have a way of metering the ZDDP concentrate you put in.

Last edited by 1971mach1; 03-24-2010 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Readily Available ZDDP Source?