Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

CJ PONY PARTS Horror Story !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:09 AM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

I have always had good luck with them.

I ordered some headers on sale and threw them in the garage for 10 months before installing. When I went to install them they were defective. CJ took them back no problem. They could have easily played the 30 day return policy game.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

I had an issue with CJ Pony, most notably their lack of response to emails to customer service. Nonetheless, I still order from them. However, I do so only after checking Mustangs Unlimited or NPD first.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:53 PM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

I just cancelled an two items I ordered from them. First has been on backorder since 3/31 other since 4/7. They never charged me for the items, and I am assuming everything is going to go through with the chancelation, so I am not terribly sore with them, but am disappointed.

I think they should say if the item is on backorder prior to the order being finalized, but it is not unheard of for this to happen. But due to events like this one they will never truely earn any form of loyalty with me. If I check their website and they are the cheapest I will order from them, if not I will go elsewhere. If they send me an e-mail saying it is backordered I will cancel and someone else will get my money.

As much as I hate the state of Ohio(Long story), I order alot of stuff from summit for my other vehicles, and never think twice about checking elsewhere because they have always treated me well.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:17 PM
1966-FASTBACK
2nd Gear Member

They have very Bad follow through! they garenteed me by friday the pan would be picked up. another day wasted while they have my money.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:51 PM
cookstang

I have used CJ Pony for most of our 65 coupe restoration and have been very pleased with them. Made long lists of parts needed and then started ordering them well ahead of time. In some cases items were backordered. They shipped what they had and followed a week or so later with the remainder of the items.

Their order history is great. Went to put the windshield and backlight in this weekend and no gaskets. Checked my order history and realized I had forgotten to order them. Lucky I found them at a local shop. Another thumbs up for CJ.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:21 PM
lvb

Has anyone here used Mustang Depot I live in nv and can order and then go and pickup parts no shipping cost.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Houndstooth
1st Gear Member

That sucks, sorry to hear about your bad experience. I do however have to parrot what many others are saying. I have ordered many parts form CJ and have had good luck. I think you can have a bad experience with anyone but it is the follow through that is important (which you didn't get).

I ordered an HEI dist. from MD and it arrived looking like it had been run over by a truck. A quick e-mail to them and the issue was solved, they sent me a label for pick up and gave me my money back at my request (decided not to go HEI) so I would definitely do business with them again.

It does take awhile for me to get parts from CJ (might be where I live) but for free shipping and an occasional 10% off it is worth the wait for me.

Last edited by Houndstooth; 04-27-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:19 PM
1966-FASTBACK
2nd Gear Member

Another Day gone by and no picky Pan up yet. maybe tomorrow? probably not.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:03 PM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

I have ordered alot of parts from CJ's and have been treated ery well. Only one big screw up from them and they took care of it with one call from me. I had ordered rt and lt frame gussets and recieved two lefts. A quick call and they had a right gusset shipped to me the next day. They took care of me quickly and with minimal hassle.

I will say that i wish i would know about backorders as has been mentioned. Another thing that i would like to see is better descriptions of the parts on the website. This could be said for the entire mustang parts industry. I really think a company could get an edge on the competition just by putting up more info about the parts.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:48 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

I don't plan to use CJ anymore unless its small parts or parts I can wait weeks for that I don't want to pay shipping on. More than half the stuff I've ordered has been on backlog. Just recently I bought rear sway bar kit pics showing golden clad finish - shows up as powder coated. Bushing kit was just a box of parts not wrapped that someone threw in a taped up fedex box. Still not sure all pieces are there. Not the first time I had simiiar kits show up in like that. I quit using them for awhile and tried again because of free shipping. I'm stil waiting on a monte carlo bar I ordered 3 weeks.

I've used them all and NPD for me is the best. Really nice to order something and it shows up 2 days later. For performance parts Summit is the best - quick shippng, services is great and their website tells you if in stock or not.

I'm surprised to hear so many positive comments about CJ. I think they are the worst of all the major mustang part suppliers.

Last edited by palerider; 04-27-2010 at 06:52 AM.

Quick Reply: CJ PONY PARTS Horror Story !!!!