Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Resto-mod project

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:47 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Man I love the 67-68 tailights. Dont care much for the shelby lights. If you want a custom look black out the whole panel. looks great on 67-68
Old 01-26-2011, 09:41 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Like this?

I'm not even sure how I feel about that one. Obviously I won't be doing that paint job anyways. I still have yet to decide on my paint color too, arghhhhhhh.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:20 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I agree, I'd pass on Shelby tail lights. I like the stock tail lights better.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:52 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

blacked out tailight section wont look good with a dark blue. If it were a light blue it would look much better
Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

If you use a tail light panel like the one below it just screws over all of the opening with the integrated tail light buckets. Also with this one you dont need to cut anything. This one just simple screws on you dont need to cover the stock tail light wholes but if you want to you can ive seen people cut a rectangle to fit over the 3 holes and rivet them on if you dont want to weld them. On mine i welded the wholes tho again you really dont have to do anything to the 3 light holes it just preference. I used this tail light panel and its alot better then then cutting wholes and going through all that trouble of mounting the buckets.

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCa...lass/M-211.jpg
Old 01-27-2011, 10:01 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jp1967stang
If you use a tail light panel like the one below it just screws over all of the opening with the integrated tail light buckets. Also with this one you dont need to cut anything. This one just simple screws on you dont need to cover the stock tail light wholes but if you want to you can ive seen people cut a rectangle to fit over the 3 holes and rivet them on if you dont want to weld them. On mine i welded the wholes tho again you really dont have to do anything to the 3 light holes it just preference. I used this tail light panel and its alot better then then cutting wholes and going through all that trouble of mounting the buckets.

So do you have that on your coupe? Do you have any pictures of it? And it can just screw on? I think I'd prefer to weld it on.
And it's metal right? With no cutting needed? Sounds like the perfect solution!

I think I'll probably end up blacking out the shelby panel though, if I go that way.

Last edited by hightower2011; 01-27-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:46 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by jp1967stang

your sig image is too large
Old 01-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

It's funny but we installed all the 68 Shelby parts on our 67 except for the tail light panel. We both prefer the mustang tail lights over the 'Shebly' Cougar lights and most people have agreed.

Those small rust holes are fairly easy to fix with some light scraps of metal. Cut out the rust and make a replacement patch then weld on.. Tack a nail to the middle of the patch to hold it to get things started if needed.

Some people don't like the idea of blocking off the cowl vents due to the fresh air vent however we haven't had any issues. We removed the fresh air vent under the drivers side and have a full sized new fuse panel mounted there now from Ron Frances wiring. You do need to replace the factory heating with a vintage air system or other aftermarket setup that doesn't require the cowl vents. With the longer Shelby nose section on the front, the 68 Shelby hood and closed off cowl vents it makes the front of the car look very aggressive. We are glad we did this change and have a lot of positive comments about it.

No welding required for it either. Cut put the 2 panels from some sheetmetal, bend and shape them to lay down flat inside the vents, on the grats and use a good panel bonding glue. Once glued and place in the cowl areas put a couple gallon paint can on them for the night. Use a long strand filler to fill the small gap and then any good filler afterwards to smooth out with the cowl. If your going to do an aftermarket heater A/C system it's a great look and easy to do.

Btw.. Looks like your having a lot of fun and sticking with it! Congrats! I see way to many torn down and never finished.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:07 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hightower2011
So do you have that on your coupe? Do you have any pictures of it? And it can just screw on? I think I'd prefer to weld it on.
And it's metal right? With no cutting needed? Sounds like the perfect solution!

I think I'll probably end up blacking out the shelby panel though, if I go that way.
Yes i have it on my coupe. Sorry dont have any pic of it, it has been in storage for 5 years and lost pictures but it looks like any other with Shelby tail lights. The panel is fiberglass just like the Shelby ones so you have to screw it on thats how Shelby did it anyways. The welding i was referring to was the 3 existing tail light holes some people weld them up for a more finished look inside the trunk. Its really easy to do nothing get cut or anything you just put this fiberglass panel over the existing metal one. If you dont do this for a while i should be getting my car back come spring. Also are you doing a Shelby deck lid thats what i have on mine so im unsure how they fit if you dont run one.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

Very good job!

Quick Reply: Resto-mod project