Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Corvette C4 suspension in a 65 Mustang.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:44 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I believe you can get brackets to use c5 or c6 brakes on a c4 look on the corvette forums.I would leave the lug pattern as it is would be easier and probably cheaper for rims that will fit.That mustang they named mutstang its a nice mean road racer i would love to have.The really nice part about the c4 stuff is most of it is alum you can polish it if you want.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:09 AM
FBConvert

The fact that it is a solid fiberglass spring gives me confidence. Its true, I will be weakening the spring by trimming its sides a little to keep the same spring constant but its overall integrity should be untouched... as long as I don't over do it. Either way I am not talking about taking a lot off of the width of the spring especially if I only have to remove an inch off both sides.

I am looking for some wheels now like it was mentioned with a little offset. So far the ones I am considering are the TSW trackstar five. But as far as I know they only come in a 17X8 with approximately 40mm of offset. Anyone have a favorite brand or any recommendations?

Image found at http://www.carid.com/tsw-wheels/trackstar-5-91744.html

My plan for painting the car changes a lot but I keep going back to like a dark metallic rose red with mat black racing stripes. I really like how the trackstars are black with the red stripe I think it would look sick with my car.

Similar to this but like I described with mat black stripes and mabe even a darker red so that the two colors almost look the same but they have the contrast between the mat and metallic finish to offset each other.

I have also been throwing around the idea of using 2010 mustang headlights and blinkers. like you see in the obsidian mustang. I use to work on fiberglass boats so I am fairly confident that I could mold my own front bumper and what not. Will see on how much energy I have with the body though once I get the suspension. I don't even want to talk about a power plant yet ha ha.

Last edited by FBConvert; 06-05-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:18 AM
FBConvert

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
I believe you can get brackets to use c5 or c6 brakes on a c4 look on the corvette forums.I would leave the lug pattern as it is would be easier and probably cheaper for rims that will fit.That mustang they named mutstang its a nice mean road racer i would love to have.The really nice part about the c4 stuff is most of it is alum you can polish it if you want.
Yeah I started looking into it and realized the 4.75 lug pattern is actually more common then I suspected (I heard otherwise and I only knew about my Toyota truck sizes before this) the trick is finding the right offset. I may just ended up narrowing the suspension more than I planned.

But the aluminum is why I decided to go this rout really. Like you said it will polish up nice and its just cool. Not a lot of folks will be able to say they have an aluminum IRS in the 65 mustang.

Last edited by FBConvert; 06-05-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

This is the stupidest, most assinine idea I have ever read on these forums.

That having been said, I have subscribed to this thread, and intend to watch as this thing unfolds.

Good luck to you sir. I think it'll be impressive to see finished.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:12 PM
irish350

damn, quite the project...

i went from a heavily modded 95 camaro to a stock 92 vette and i was really surprised with the overall feel of the car. If im not mistaken theres not a huge weight discrepancy here so this should be very cool. Be sure to keep us updated
Old 06-07-2010, 07:42 PM
GA_Mach1

simply awesome. Nice work on the conversion, I wish I had the time, money, skills, tools, space, I could go on all day. I hope this works out, just don't go stuffing a Vette engine in it now!!
Old 06-08-2010, 01:12 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Here is a couple more mustangs to look at for ideas http://www.ringbrothers.com/index.cf...category_ID=67 Or really mess with people http://www.trophymustang.com/1964196...nt-p-6925.html
Old 06-08-2010, 10:40 PM
irish350

not to thread jack.. but any pics of that front end? those pics are the only one on vfns site
Old 06-10-2010, 01:36 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Only pictures i can find of it on a car is http://www.hemistang.com/ext.html and painted http://www.hemistang.com/13/Mvc-001s.jpg its a old front end they use to make them long ago so you might find more pictures google mustang Fiber Fab Pro.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:24 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

I have an 88, stick shift Vette and it's a hoot to drive. What makes it such a handler probably has as much or more to do with the size of the tire patch on the ground and weight distrigution as it does with the suspension.

What made the C4 a huge step forward in handling was a combination of things:

o The tires introduced for the car had more area on the ground than any production car previously seen at that time, at least on an American Car.
o Lightweight - at 3,050 pounds it's easier to change directions
o Four wheel independent suspension
o 50/50 weight distribution makes it the most forgiving car you can get in. This makes it REALLY easy to drive fast on corners and very easy to gather up if it gets out of shape.

Of all these features I would actually put the suspension itself at the bottom of the list. It does, however, open the door for some other mods that could make a killer handling car.

Are you planning on modifying for more tire under the car?

Since the car is not a faithful restoration anyway, are you planning on setting the engine rearward to improve weight distribution?

What year car is the suspension from? The 88 and later cars had KILLER Australian brakes. If it is one of these cars there will be absolutely no need for any brake modifications.

Have you calculated whether or not there will be any weight savings with this change? Are you planning on any other weight saving measures.

I am all behind this project. I think it has great potential. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Corvette C4 suspension in a 65 Mustang.