Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Radiator question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:18 PM
HEADACHEZ
1st Gear Member

Default Radiator question (updated)

So I am going to be buying a new radiator to replace the stock 2 core. I was looking at this radiator:

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/pr...at=2153&page=1

I think it should be more than enough for the stock 289? Price seems fair and it's close to me so I can just walk in and pick it up. I think a 4core would just be way over kill. Am I making the right choice?

Thanks

Brian

Last edited by HEADACHEZ; 06-25-2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 06-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

A 3-row is definitely the way to go. 4-rows is overkill and may even diminish cooling capacity by reducing airflow. My 3-row keeps my 331 cool in 110F heat.

Just be sure to get a fan shroud. Without it, you'll be sacrificing a lot of airflow at lower speeds.

I'd also recommend a clutch fan, but that's not necessarily a requirement. A steel fan works well, it's just noisy. Flex fans are still noisy, and are not so safe IMO (and the opinion of others, who have been injured by exploding fans). My clutch fan serves me well. Cools when it's needed, freewheels when it's not.

Last edited by Starfury; 06-16-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:06 PM
HEADACHEZ
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
A 3-row is definitely the way to go. 4-rows is overkill and may even diminish cooling capacity by reducing airflow. My 3-row keeps my 331 cool in 110F heat.

Just be sure to get a fan shroud. Without it, you'll be sacrificing a lot of airflow at lower speeds.

I'd also recommend a clutch fan, but that's not necessarily a requirement. A steel fan works well, it's just noisy. Flex fans are still noisy, and are not so safe IMO (and the opinion of others, who have been injured by exploding fans). My clutch fan serves me well. Cools when it's needed, freewheels when it's not.

Thanks! I thought a 4 row would be overkill. I do have a new fan shroud and fan on it now, not sure if it is a clutch fan though. I would post pics but unfortunately according to the forum I am unable to post attachments or edit my posts?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:55 PM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

4 rows are not so much overkill as they are a statement. In the Sub $500 price range the "4 core" is usualy 4 very small cores where as you can find an affordable 3/4" - 1" 3 core radiator that does a better job. Look at the overall diameter of the radiator, not the number of cores. My 3 core is just as wide as some 4 cores and more effecient because is has less core and more fin area.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:40 PM
HEADACHEZ
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tcrote5516
4 rows are not so much overkill as they are a statement. In the Sub $500 price range the "4 core" is usualy 4 very small cores where as you can find an affordable 3/4" - 1" 3 core radiator that does a better job. Look at the overall diameter of the radiator, not the number of cores. My 3 core is just as wide as some 4 cores and more effecient because is has less core and more fin area.
Thanks for the info! Not sure what the diameter of the one from Mustangs plus is the website does list any specs.

On a side note I love your engine bay:icon_hyper :
Old 06-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Diameter? Are you running a unique circular radiator?

Core width is a concern, but the M+ unit is as good as most available. None are really fantastic quality, but there are cheaper/lower quality units available than that.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:51 PM
HEADACHEZ
1st Gear Member

So I went with CJ pony parts instead. Mustangs Plus is only like 20 minutes from my house but this deal was a better buy for me and worth the wait, plus shipping is free and no tax!

http://www.cjponyparts.com/3-row-rad...7-289/p/RADK3/
Old 06-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

That's alright, I'm from Stockton and I try not to buy from M+ unless I need something on the spot that only they have. I've found their service to be mediocre at best, and their prices aren't great either. The only things I like them for are their restomod stuff, like the remote 5sp shifter they have.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:23 PM
HEADACHEZ
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
That's alright, I'm from Stockton and I try not to buy from M+ unless I need something on the spot that only they have. I've found their service to be mediocre at best, and their prices aren't great either. The only things I like them for are their restomod stuff, like the remote 5sp shifter they have.
I have never actually purchased anything from Mustangs Plus but I thought most of their prices looked ok. However maybe I just haven't looked hard enough for a better parts place. I thought their grab-a-track suspension kits looked to be priced fairly and seemed like a solid kit? I did have plans on purchasing one of the kits next. Here is the link:

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/pr...at=3224&page=1

Any thoughts on it?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I don't like a lot of kits, especially theirs. They use polyurethane bushings everywhere which can cause a lot of squeaks and a needlessly rough ride. I've also heard their shocks are on the mushy side.

I prefer to piece together suspension components. John over at OpenTracker Racing Products has a lot of good stuff. Give him a call if you're planning on doing a lot of suspension work. At the very least, I highly recommend a set of roller spring perches.

Quick Reply: Radiator question