Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Suspension and Steering is finally finished!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:44 PM
pootypeters
1st Gear Member

Default Suspension and Steering is finally finished!

So I just picked my car up from the alignment shop after I spent the last month gutting and replacing the front suspension and steering on my car. It rides great and drives great now that I got my alignment where I wanted it. It felt good to spend as much time as I wanted ensuring that everything got either replaced or cleaned and repainted. Huge thanks to John over at OpenTracker who not only provided me with 90% of the parts but went out of his way to answer each and every question I had for him. I highly recommend anyone thinking of doing this job to look into his website. Great quality and great service.

-Upper Control Arms (1" Drop)
-Spherical Lower Control Arms
-Roller Spring Perches
-Street or Track Adjustable Strut Rods
-Moog Inner, Outer Tie Rod Ends and Adjusting Sleeves (Painted)
-Moog Idler Arm (Painted)

-Grab-A-Trak Springs
-Grab-A-Trak Shocks
-Grab-A-Trak 1 1/8" Sway Bar with Poly Bushings
-Original Spindles (Media Blasted and Powder Coated)
-Center Link (Media Blasted and Painted)
-Pitman Arm (Media Blasted and Painted)
-Wheel Wells cleaned and Painted with MarHyde

Caster +2.5 Degrees
Camber -0.5 Degrees

I did the rear last summer with 4.5 Standard Eye springs and Grab-A-Trak Shocks

Pictures from start to finish:
Attached Thumbnails Suspension and Steering is finally finished!-img_7038.jpg   Suspension and Steering is finally finished!-img_7034.jpg   Suspension and Steering is finally finished!-img_7032.jpg   Suspension and Steering is finally finished!-img_7114.jpg   Suspension and Steering is finally finished!-img_7058.jpg  

Old 07-18-2010, 10:46 PM
pootypeters
1st Gear Member

More Pictures:
Attached Thumbnails Suspension and Steering is finally finished!-img_7126.jpg   Suspension and Steering is finally finished!-img_7127.jpg   Suspension and Steering is finally finished!-img_7188.jpg   Suspension and Steering is finally finished!-img_7189.jpg  
Old 07-18-2010, 10:47 PM
pootypeters
1st Gear Member

Some of the Car:
Attached Thumbnails Suspension and Steering is finally finished!-img_7197.jpg   Suspension and Steering is finally finished!-img_7198.jpg   Suspension and Steering is finally finished!-img_7199.jpg   Suspension and Steering is finally finished!-img_7202.jpg   Suspension and Steering is finally finished!-img_7207.jpg  

Old 07-18-2010, 11:01 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Very nice I need to replace my drivers uca but don't know how to use a spring compressor and want someone with experience with one to help me
Old 07-19-2010, 01:00 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

That looks good. How come no front discs yet?

I would like to do the roller perches and roller idler arm on mine. I have though about some of the other upgrades too. Mine is currently stock front suspension, but all of the parts are almost new. It does fine, but I think it would drive better with some of those upgrades. How much of a difference can you tell?

Nice car by the way. What color is it, black or blue?

Last edited by tx65coupe; 07-19-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

nice work.
are you happy with it?
have you changed steering box? did you stick with std idler and pitman arms or go with a quick steer kit?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:27 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

very nice. however I think the backl i sway to high for those 17" wheels. even with standard eyes it should be lower. do you have those ladder bar shackles in the back? front is sitting nice from the picture
Old 07-19-2010, 08:18 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I was wondering the same thing about the stance. It doesn't look like it has extended rear shackles, so I'm not sure why its so high in the rear. Maybe he has the lifted rear springs from Laurel Mountian Mustang or JCW.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:29 AM
pootypeters
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I know the rear sits high but that's because I like that look. I'm not running any kind of shackles. Everyone here seems to run mid-eye leafs so maybe people have forgotten how tall the rears ride with standard-eyes. 4.5's from Mustang Plus. I didn't think it was overkill, just a little higher ride for a more aggressive stance. Although, I have been wondering how badly it affects my handling/cornering...

The drums are killing me! I hated putting those back on the new suspension. One day some Baers would be nice. But AC is next on the list. Driving with vinyl seats in 115 degrees is miserable.

The car is midnight blue so it sometimes looks black. That also is on the list. The car is in need of a quality spray.

Didn't replace the box, just packed it with fresh lithium grease. I didn't go with the roller idler arm either cause I didn't want to lose the wheel snapping back to center feel.

I know the rebuild wasn't anything special but I love the way it drives. Before, it was so uncontrollable that it wasn't even fun to drive anymore. I'm really happy with the way it turned out but I know that I still have some work to do on it.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:59 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I have standard eye GT springs on mine with 1 inch front lowering springs and its almost level, but is still just a tad high in the front.

Thats true, its definitely nice to have AC. I don't use mine alot, but sometimes on the way to the local cruise
night on Saturday afternoon I'll use it. The black interior gets pretty damn hot.

I have Granada brakes on mine it it works really well. If you want a good front disc brake setup that is not pricey you could go with the OE style ones too.

I get the same thing with my car. Its caspian blue, but looks black at night and in certain lighting.

Thats cool that your happy with the way it turned out so far. I think I will make the roller idler arm and spring perches on of my future mods.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 07-22-2010 at 06:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Suspension and Steering is finally finished!