Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Advice needed on 67 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

So, here's an update....

First off, a bit of advice....... always look up!!!

So yea, I didn't follow that advice until the other day... and well here is what I found:

So after getting so "Krud Kutter" from Home Depot, a wire wheel, and a little elbow grease, 15 minutes later this is what I found.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:15 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Goodness! My roof isn't near as bad!!! I wonder how it could've gotten that rusty? I guess the windows/glass must have been down/off for a long time and allowed a lot of perspiration to get in.

But like you said, a good 15 min of elbow grease does the job.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:50 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

did you pick up the 289? I would consider going late model 5.0 so you can have a full roller motor if you have not already picked up the 289
Old 10-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

I did pick up a 289 and an AOD transmission from a 89 Mustang. They are both currently being rebuilt by local mechanics.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

You can probably still upgrade the cam & lifters to a roller arrangement by using so-called "conversion" roller lifters.

This has power & driveability benefits in addition to being more compatible with commonly available motor oils (that pesky ZDDP issue again).

Norm
Old 10-25-2010, 09:42 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
You can probably still upgrade the cam & lifters to a roller arrangement by using so-called "conversion" roller lifters.

This has power & driveability benefits in addition to being more compatible with commonly available motor oils (that pesky ZDDP issue again).

Norm
+1 good advice
Old 10-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Thanks to the nice folks at mustangsunlimited customer service I was given the following specs for the center console of a 1967 Mustang Coupe.

The length 46", height (both at the front 3-1/2" and at the back 14") and width (both at the front 5" and at the back 10-1/2" ).

What he is considering the back is the part that goes under the front dash. So with this information I will be making my own custom console to mimic the original.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:28 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Novice-Owner-Marc
What he is considering the back is the part that goes under the front dash. So with this information I will be making my own custom console to mimic the original.
Awesome! I can't wait to see your plans!
Old 10-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Someday67

I agree with the 302 solution... they are plentiful from '68 on and have a million different ways to restore or upgrade them for power and/or efficiency. Big blocks are cool but end up costing more one way or another. I also second the Craigslist solution. You can find a TON od old Fords with V8s and transmissions in them that will bolt right into a Mustang. Junked (or not junked) Rancheros, Fairlanes, Torinos, etc. all have engines you can slap right in. MORON ALERT... I didn't read the whole story before posting. I joined in 2008 but am still pretty green navigating around in here.

Last edited by Someday67; 10-31-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: I didn't see that original poster had already bought an engine.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Someday67
I agree with the 302 solution... they are plentiful from '68 on and have a million different ways to restore or upgrade them for power and/or efficiency. Big blocks are cool but end up costing more one way or another. I also second the Craigslist solution. You can find a TON od old Fords with V8s and transmissions in them that will bolt right into a Mustang. Junked (or not junked) Rancheros, Fairlanes, Torinos, etc. all have engines you can slap right in. MORON ALERT... I didn't read the whole story before posting. I joined in 2008 but am still pretty green navigating around in here.
Hey Someday, thanks for posting. Dude, don't give it another thought about posting your opinion after I already got an engine. I wanted to keep "within" a 1967 specs, which meant I had to go with a 289. Yeah it's from a Bronco, but a 289 is a 289... ya know?

What are you rebuilding?

Quick Reply: Advice needed on 67 Mustang