Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Well, My fastback is home after a spooky 5 hour drive! Suspension time!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:09 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Parts can be worn and not necessarily show signs that easily. Especially bushings that can squirm and deform under cornering loads, but appear stable when you move stuff with your arms(which cant apply thousands of pounds of force like cornering does). And yes, a cockamamie alignment can do all sorts of stuff, cause instability, bump steer etc. Bump steer is actually a steering linkage specific problem where the linkages are located in the wrong spot. And the wrong alignment(like typical factory 60's alignments for the no longer used bias play tires) can make a car VERY unstable.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Mark Savitske was mentioned in your other thread (by T-CHRGD).

What wasn't mentioned was this, which I think is due out in a month or so.

Also, there's a chassis topics reading list in the 2005-up/Handling section on this site.

Norm
Old 09-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Looking at the car I am starting to think that the front end has been lowered a bit? That could really mess with the bump steer if the springs were cut off without changing the pitman arm right?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:10 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Post some pics and we should be able to tell pretty easily if its lowered.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hightower2011
Post some pics and we should be able to tell pretty easily if its lowered.

Right on.

It still has 14" wheels FWIW.

Ill also add that the passenger side front tire rubs the fender at times? Whats that about? I have no idea of wheel backspacing.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:32 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Looks nice! Definitely lowered but I like that look myself. My guess would be that the rubbing is from the lowering. Is it when you turn sharp, or just driving straight? At any rate, that's a big concern cause it can be a hazard.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:36 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

It may be lowered or it may be completely worn out springs. The tire rubbing may be a result of that, and/or alignment issues. Do you know what the alignment specs on it now are?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:03 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Well, I have no idea what the numbers are for the alignment but the old man did seem to like the service shop and I would guess the thing is not to far out of whack. Even the shocks are new and the car has no tire wear issues.

To be fair to the car I took it for another drive yesterday and really looked at my issues and I think I have it narrowed down.

When two people are in the car the front right tire just rubs slightly when I turn in and hit a bump (and I have a skinny wife) . It seems like a cut spring lowing job?

Bump steer is obvious and pronounced, even on dips in the road.

That dead/flat spot in the center of the steering gear/box really kills it for me.

My steering wheel is a crap "Grant" that does not feel like the best installation.

So, maybe I should just try a Flaming River 16:1 box and some new springs that are a known variable and a fresh alignment...at least then I can have some sorta baseline and know what I have. Then I can decide if I want to spend the money on this particular car for spendy suspension.

If one uses shorter springs should one use any special pitman arm or other parts to reduce bump steer?
Old 09-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

What size are those wheels and tires?

Dodgestang has quite a bit of wheel/tire/clearance stuff assembled. See if what you have is listed.

http://www.dodgestang.com/Tire%20Fit...ide%2065-6.pdf

Norm
Old 09-03-2010, 11:46 AM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coupe
Well, I have no idea what the numbers are for the alignment but the old man did seem to like the service shop and I would guess the thing is not to far out of whack. Even the shocks are new and the car has no tire wear issues.

To be fair to the car I took it for another drive yesterday and really looked at my issues and I think I have it narrowed down.

When two people are in the car the front right tire just rubs slightly when I turn in and hit a bump (and I have a skinny wife) . It seems like a cut spring lowing job?

Bump steer is obvious and pronounced, even on dips in the road.

That dead/flat spot in the center of the steering gear/box really kills it for me.

My steering wheel is a crap "Grant" that does not feel like the best installation.

So, maybe I should just try a Flaming River 16:1 box and some new springs that are a known variable and a fresh alignment...at least then I can have some sorta baseline and know what I have. Then I can decide if I want to spend the money on this particular car for spendy suspension.

If one uses shorter springs should one use any special pitman arm or other parts to reduce bump steer?

I would do a lot more research before you buy anything. If track performance is your goal you need to do a lot of homework, or you will be wasting time and money.

You may start at Gateway classic mustangs. At least they can show recent performance results.

Quick Reply: Well, My fastback is home after a spooky 5 hour drive! Suspension time!