Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

351 C Timing

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 07:50 PM
droptine

Default 351 C Timing

I just got my mustang running after a couple years of restoration. I got it started and figured I would check the timing and get everything fine tunned. when I checked the timing it was way off, like 22-25 BTC and should be 6 BTC. I thought maybe I had the distrubutor a tooth off or something so I took out the #1 Plug, brought it up to TDC on the compression stroke, reinstalled the distributor.....started it up and checked it again.....same thing.
I cant get the timing where it belongs! it just dies if I try to get past about 15 BTC. Anyone have any ideas on what might be the problem? It starts right up but idols a little rough.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:18 PM
hotrod351
2nd Gear Member

disconnect your vacuum advance.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:13 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

ya. disconnect and plug the hose going to distributor advance and plug it. that's the very first thing to do. let us know if it cured it or if there was no change
Old 09-27-2010, 07:09 AM
droptine

I had it diconnected and plugged when I tried getting it set the other day.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:39 AM
droptine

one thing I forgot to mention was I did change out the distributor....but still a stock ford distrubutor
Old 09-27-2010, 02:58 PM
droptine

Default Distributors dual vaccuum diaphragm vaccuum advance

let me also add that my Distributor has dual vaccuum diaphragm vaccuum advance. I am wondering if I have the vaccuum hooked up incorrectly....and maybe I am not plugging the correct one to check the timing.

I am reading alot of stuff saying that the vaccumm need to come off a certain spot on the carb, im not sure mine is correct.

Can anyone tell me or send me a diagram of the correct vaccumm hose routing for the 73 mustang, 2100 carb, manual tranny. And let me know which hose to disconnect and plug while checking the timing,
Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 PM
droptine

can anyone help?? Anything would be better than what I have
Old 09-28-2010, 08:55 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

With all vacuum to the dist disconnected, loosen the dist and at idle, slowly advance it until the idle peaks, then back off a bit - say, an inch or so measured at the advance nipple (sorry, it's a "feel" thing, not something I ever measured). The idle will lower a bit and this will be a very rough ballpark, although likely still advanced, of your engine's "happy place". Now where does the timing light say it is? If it's around 20, you're likely seeing the result of a slipped balancer ring (the part with the timing marks you're seeing) or maybe a thumper type cam that requires a totally different timing setup. There are other causes, but these are a good starting point.

Just an edit: Make sure there is NO vacuum to the distributor while setting it. You can even drive it without it. Vac advance and retard are for fuel mileage and emissions - no concern and not needed when sorting out problems.

Last edited by KMatch; 09-28-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:12 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

hiya,

no matter if single or dual. for timing both have to be disconnected and plugged. You don't want vacuum advance or retard to interfere anywhere in your initial timing that you are doing.

with both disconnected and plugged check again. if it's resolved, great. if not, then

1. leave vac disconnected and slowly rev to about 3000rpm. does the timing advance? if yes, by how much
2. you might have a vacuum leak. How does she run with the timing where you had it?
3. there might be an issue with your timing marks being wrong.
either the pointer is on the wrong position, or the balancer has slipped (the outside where the markings are on). to verify this, there are only two options
- remove water pump and timing cover and turn engine until the two markings on crank and cam sprocket match up (cam marker 6o'clock position, crank marker 12o'clock position). verify if your pointer shows TDC
- the other option is way easier, but for that you will need a piston stop
looks like that:
you basically remove the ignition key (hide the key somewhere, disconnect the battery). So you don't ever get the idea to start the engine while doing the following:
remove #1 spark plug
put piston stop in there. and extend.
turn engine (manually) with crank bolt at balancer in one driction. lets say counterclockwise until you hit that stop (you can't turn further).
make a mark where the pointer points on balancer (mark on balancer). with tipEx or paint
turn the engine the other way around until it stops again. mark again.
Exactly between your two marks is TDC (make a red mark there). This should be where TDC is marked on the balancer.
DON'T FORGET to get the piston stop out of there before you start engine