Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Dangerous problems...need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 02:27 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Default Dangerous problems...need help

Want to address a few problems before my wife starts driving the car. Might possibly be all connected. First the car pulls hard right under normal driving, but only half the time. The other half of the time it is centered very nice. Second hard braking can be very dangerous. Under hard breaking the car will pull very hard to either side, hard for even me to control. Third is there is too much play with the steering. All steering componets have been replaced including roller idler arm.

My thoughts are to replce the steering box. Hopefully with a 16:1. I do not want to spend on the FR unit. Second is maybe bumpsteer kit? which one? Also my camber seems to be off as the tires are wearing on the inside (top of tire points in toward engine).

The car has disc front brakes, shelby drop, 1'' lowering springs with a full coil cut lowering it another inch. steering is stock manual. not interested in PS. all componets are new but stock in front. rear is a 4 link setup.

Thanks for your help. Need to fix this cheaply so i can buy my FPA headers. My Pro-systems carb should hopefully come today!
Old 10-27-2010, 03:11 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

If all the components are new than it is unlikely that you would have movement like you are describing.

Has the front end been aligned properly for the UCA drop?
You mentioned all the steering components have been replaced but not the suspension components. I will assume the drop was done recently and the UCA's are in good shape. The next thing to look at would be the strut rods and the lower control arms. More than likely you have a strut rod problem if all other items are done correctly.

A 16:1 manual box may be tough for the wife, unless she is a body builder.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:27 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

I took my old 66 in for an alignment and it drove great for about a week. But the shop did not tighten the upper arms down after adding the shims. After about a week, the bolts loosened and the shims fell out leaving ALOT of play in the steering. It would drive just fine for abit, and then pull like crazy when I braked or turned until I turned the other direction.

It's a long shot I know, but maybe........
Old 10-27-2010, 04:01 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

You mentioned pull under braking and normal conditions. This leads me to believe a possible caliper problem in the front. The slack in the steering may be from a worn gear box, and also contributing to the pulling. However if it was just steering wear it would be more varied due to road conditions. I would check for a frozen or sticking caliper, bent suspension components/alignment, and a worn gear box.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

"Third is there is too much play with the steering. All steering componets have been replaced including roller idler arm."

I have PS in my '67 but started with ~2" of play in my wheel, replaced all the original tierods, idler arm, etc. and got down to 1". I then opened up the top of the steering gearbox and scraped out all the old grease and repacked with Ford spec grease, reinstalled the cover and pumped it full. This got me down to ~1/2" of play which was acceptable to me and a huge improvement.

I have since had the box rebuilt and expect tighter steering when done. You have to be careful not to move the adjustment screw in the center when you remove the nut holding it to the cover so that it doesn't get overtightened accelerating wear on the gears.

The pulling sounds like a possible stuck piston in the caliper? or an internally collapsing rubber brake hose. You have the K/H 4 piston setup right? New or rebuilt calipers and new hoses?

Jon
Old 10-27-2010, 05:59 PM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

I think you guys are reading this wrong.

The most dangerous thing he described is that he's letting his wife drive that beauty
Old 10-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Gun Jam

I've met a hand full of women that after a quick run down on old SKL autos and a test drive to the store I wouldn't have any worries about letting them drive it alone.

-Gun
Old 10-27-2010, 07:32 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OCHOHILL
If all the components are new than it is unlikely that you would have movement like you are describing.

Has the front end been aligned properly for the UCA drop?
You mentioned all the steering components have been replaced but not the suspension components. I will assume the drop was done recently and the UCA's are in good shape. The next thing to look at would be the strut rods and the lower control arms. More than likely you have a strut rod problem if all other items are done correctly.

A 16:1 manual box may be tough for the wife, unless she is a body builder.
Front end has been aligned per daze cars specs
Suspension is all new as well

Strut rods are original...only the bushing are new. what would be a strut rod problem?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:36 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by a_penquin
You mentioned pull under braking and normal conditions. This leads me to believe a possible caliper problem in the front. The slack in the steering may be from a worn gear box, and also contributing to the pulling. However if it was just steering wear it would be more varied due to road conditions. I would check for a frozen or sticking caliper, bent suspension components/alignment, and a worn gear box.
Calipers are SSBC 4 piston design. not sticking. no rubber hoses in brake line so It cannot be a collpsed hose.

I did not know you could grease the steering box. So It has not been done in at least 10 years. For all I know it could be the original steering box.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:43 PM
JamesW

jack the car up and take the front tires off, and push pull on the front suspension. See if anything is loose.

Quick Reply: Dangerous problems...need help