Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Tuff Dawg Engine / 5 hours at the Dyno = Depression

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Default Tuff Dawg Engine / 5 hours at the Dyno = Depression

Nothing explains how I feel better than the title….. and it wasn't because of the cost. The numbers were so low that I didn't even want to post anything up on the forums, but I am doing it out of ...... Pride/shame I guess. I should have know that there was some expected disappointment when the Owner/Tuner told me that his Dyno is very conservative and he looks at it as more of a tuning tool than a power estimator (which he proved). He also told me the track numbers are more reputable than a Dyno number. In addition, I have read on several other forums that making power on his Mustang Dyno is not easy. And lastly through further research (trying to make myself feel better about the numbers) I found out that dyno numbers can vary based on the operator and type of dyno. I actually read an article where there was a comparison of dyno shops and it showed variances in upwards of 100hp from dyno to dyno using the same vehicle. So, I think once I officially brake in the engine I will probably take it to another dyno to see what it does and then to the track.

Another reason why I am posting the numbers is because I wanted people to know how this the EBay "Tuff Dawg Engine" did. A video of the car on the Dyno should follow this posting in the next couple of days. When the car was at the shop, there were several people who were estimating the car to make around 400hp base on the mean sound from the cam (what the ***** thumpr cam is designed for.)

Engine Specs:

Tuff Dawg Engine - 302
Advertised HP: 375 Advertised TQ: 393
Compression: 9.5: 1
Pistons: Forged
Rods: Stock
Crank: Stock
Cam: Comp Cam ***** Thumpr 287TH7 (Int. 500 Exh. 486) (I asked for this Cam)
Heads: ProComp 60cc Combustion chamber 2.02 int./ 1.600 exh
Intake: Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap
Carburator: Edelbrock 650 AVS

Cost of engine to my door: $3395

Miles on engine and tranny when taken to the dyno = less than 1 mile

Tranny: Promotion Powertrain 295HD 4th gear = 1:1

Extra info:
Temp: probably around 40 degrees that day.

1st Dyno Run (Laughing is ok): 120 rwhp 201rwtq
Last Dyno Run: 220rwhp 246rwtq

The 100 hp gain was from about 60% carb tuning and 40% timing. I was really shocked at how the edelbrock carb sucked straight out of the box. It took one jet change (more fuel) and two metering rod changes to make the engine happy.

I asked the owner what he thought the number output was from an engine standpoint and his response was “for my dyno, probably around 355hp”. Taking that into consideration along with how conservative the mustang dyno is, 20% loss through the drivetrain should actually put the HP number somewhere around 285 rwhp.

All in all, I am glad I actually took the car to get dynoed because I really wanted to make sure the carb and timing were dead on. If I had not taken the car, I would have been riding around on 120rwhp thinking I was tough sh*t.

I will try to get it to a different dyno in early march or April and will post if something happens to the engine. I know many people were interested in how the Tuff dawg engine performed and it durability/longevity.

In regards to the picture: Sorry it sucks but at least I posted it!
Attached Thumbnails Tuff Dawg Engine / 5 hours at the Dyno = Depression-engine-dyno.jpg  
Old 12-06-2010, 01:05 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Keep in mind that how a car runs on a dyno and how it runs irl are 2 different things. And dyno numbers can be mostly useless sometimes.

Run the car at the strip and see what the mph is, tune for that.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

As you signature says "who cares how much horsepower it has, all that matters is how fast it goes"! That is so ture!

The owner of the shop did tell me about a early 1990 mustang that ran 10.5X coming in and only laying down low 300s.

I guess this is why a lot of people don't post the numbers/ graph with the dyno run video.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:16 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Don't sweat the numbers, I've seen lots of variation between dynos. I use them just for tuning now.

It could have been worse http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=UKDkBR8-2mA
Old 12-06-2010, 01:19 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

hiya,

HP/torque doesn't mean anything to me when I don't know at what rpms that was produced. Can you post at what rpms you had peak HP and at what rpm peak torque?

what total timing did you end up with?

the picture indeed is crap, any chance to scan and upload to some image hoster (goole picasa, photobucket or whatever?)

The only thing I can see in the picture is the AFR curve and that looks utterly crap, can't see the scaling though. maybe min/max is only .5AFR. impossible to tell

just from a gutfeeling I would have said 300+ at the flywheel. maybe 350max. but with what exact components do they achieve their close to 400HP makr? same as with the edelbrock top end kit. slapping that on doesn't rally give 367HP out of the box.

Anyway i'd still like to see the fuel curve and whatever else you have there in the chart. it looks like in the last run you just barely scratched the 5500 mark, in the first run maybe 4500?? what is curious that the torque curve improved massively at the lower rpms at 2nd run but at upper rpms it again falls flat.
Are you using headers? exhaust restricted? anyway, post a proper picture, would be good to see
Old 12-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

I will definitely post a better dyno graph this evening with hopefully the video. The engine did make peak TQ at 3600 rpm while the HP climbed all the way to shut down when was at 5500.

I have LT headers. Timing.... Not sure and this was a gray area. The damper used (professional products) didn't line up with the timing pointer (based on what the owner said). we had it set at 14 degrees initial based on the damper and that was the first run. Based on the damper and the last run, at initial the marker is on 28 degrees.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Mr_velocity: I watched that video a couple hours before I took the car to the Dyno. LOL The whole time I kept thinking the damn thing was going to explode. It didn't help that the engine came from an ebay engine builder either.

Also, the owner had me drive the car on the dyno. That is a freaking awkward experience. I almost crapped my self on a few occasions and caught myself trying to turn the wheel as the rear moved around on the dyno.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Last dyno run

Hope this will embed

Last edited by Stangatic; 12-07-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

IMO that engine will do better once you get 10K or 20K on the odometer, it was not built to "racing tolerance" and it is going to take a while to loosen up, in the mean time just drive the **** out of it....

And the reason the guy told you about the dyno being for tune only is because he knows it isn't just right.

The car is for driving right? Assuming you like the way it drives, screw the numbers.

And besides, with these cars there comes a point where more HP simply means ANNIHILATING your back tires, which I have done to Jim's car on numerous occasions... Hey Jim!!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The only comment I have would be to reconsider the cam. I like a lot of the Comp Cams grinds, but I really don't like the thumper cams. They're designed for people who pick cams for the wrong reason: sound. They lope at idle, which sounds cool, but they're not optimal picks for power and driveability.

That said, if you like the way it drives, to hell with the dyno numbers

Quick Reply: Tuff Dawg Engine / 5 hours at the Dyno = Depression