Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 10:32 AM
mikenkiki05
1st Gear Member

Default question

okay need advice on what to ask for these parts that we are pulling off of the 65 mustang because we met a guy at a car show that asked us if we had any spare parts that he could buy from us, and i told him we are tearing out and replacing stuff most is a peice of mind some is a nmust change

fuel tank- tank is good but needs a new sending unit

front springs very good and 6 months old (changing while i change out front end

upper and lower a arms ( lowers need rebuilt) and uppers need rebuilt as well (has new balljoints on uppers

kyb shocks front and rear 8 months old but changing while i have them out

rear leaf springs 4 leaf setup 8 months old but changing it out to have all new front and rear suspension (has poly bushings in it allready)

taillight bezels ( has a few pits in them ) and a tad of overspray from last body shop,

side mirrors ( changing them out with all new they look newer but have no idea on how old they are since we are gonna be repainting car

i want to make it fair on the guy and have told him up front what is wrong with everything and he isnt making a show car out of it he is just making a dd nothing fancy

btw he has a 66 2 door coupe so it should all fit if im not mistaken

any help would be appreciated
Old 12-19-2010, 12:55 PM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

go onto a repop site look up what they are asking for a new repop of each of those parts. You can figure the value of all used parts at starting at 1/2 of the price of new if the part is in perfect condition. New in box will be 3/4 of new value.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Gun Jam

Yeah but if stuffs original people will pay more for a used in okay condition original item than a new Chinese part.

so keep that in mind too.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

what i have found is people are cheap.We all look for a good deal but hate it when is done to us.They will offer you 10 bucks weather you paid 50 or a 100.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:43 PM
mikenkiki05
1st Gear Member

all parts that im selling was on the car when i bought it, not sure if they are original or not i have receipts from old owner on some if not most of the parts some he never touched like tank and a few others, hey if cheap is the way i get it sold thats fine too cheap within reason of course, but not looking to make a killer off of anything, basically i want to pay it forward some of the stuff i could just give a person, but like the shocks springs ect lookn for a lil money to help support buying the new, fuel tank could be givin away also so its not sittin around
Old 12-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Gun Jam

I sold the original 8 track radio from my 66...it was dirty dusty and probably didnt work...all this of course was stated in the auction...wanna guess what it sold for?

So of course the type of original part also plays into the equation of whether its worth more than a new china made part.

So that said list the item at what you think is close to a reasonable cost...auctions have a way of seeking the true value of an item naturally during the bidding process thats where ebay has a real advantage over craigs list.

Last edited by Gun Jam; 12-19-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:28 PM
mikenkiki05
1st Gear Member

k ty after talking with wife she says just pay it forward to help out a fellow newbie mutsang guy, minus the kyb gr-2,
Old 12-23-2010, 06:15 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Why are you changing out nearly new springs etc?
Old 12-23-2010, 07:13 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikenkiki05
k ty after talking with wife she says just pay it forward to help out a fellow newbie mutsang guy, minus the kyb gr-2,
That's the route I took, good for you. Just be sure you put a price, any price on the item if you list it here otherwise they will lock your add.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:05 PM
mikenkiki05
1st Gear Member

well i was gonna but after talking to a mustang center i just bought a ton of stuff yesterday i was telling them my plan on springs and leafs they said fronts dont go bad that often unless you abuse them, and rears are good for bout 7-10 years depending on how many miles you put on car a year, its a show car and its got classic insurance on it so we can only drive it 2,000 a year, anbd guys reply was dont change shocks front or rear springs untill you need too, the fronts i wanted new since i will have old ones out next weekend to change uppers but we have decided to keep the springs and shocks for money saving at this point, so i bought some interior and exterior goodies instead for the 300 i would of spent on that stuff.

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
Why are you changing out nearly new springs etc?

Quick Reply: question