Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Optimus Prime - The '68 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gregski
short answer: sometimes I do stupid stuff

explanation: it was ugly, crusty, and I didn't wanna paint over it, I know it will be hidden behind a door panel, but I'm the guy who removes the pillow cushions when he vacuums and slides the couches to the other side of the room!
I'm doing the same, I'll be re-priming and painting my doors so I'll need to get that gunk off too.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gregski
short answer: sometimes I do stupid stuff

explanation: it was ugly, crusty, and I didn't wanna paint over it, I know it will be hidden behind a door panel, but I'm the guy who removes the pillow cushions when he vacuums and slides the couches to the other side of the room!
yeah im no where near as bad but the thought of that hidding there would bother me too

so, i want to work on my car but unfortunately i have no garage. Any one near Bayonne, NJ want to lend me his? LOL
Old 02-15-2011, 05:02 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Gregski, did using a wire wheel on the grain texture effect it any? I've been considering using a stripper on mine, but if she doesn't get it done, I'll buy the chemical paint remover.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TexasAxMan

Gregski, did using a wire wheel on the grain texture effect it any?
Great question, that was my concern as well. The answer is not at all, I was very pleasantly surprised, pleased with the results, no scratches at all.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Time To Cheese Out

There comes a time where you have to cut your loses. Trying to remove the door hinges is that time. These things are literally held on by a round peg in a square hole, with what seems like a 1/2 inch thick 3 by 3 inch backing plate, (see picture below to the left of the speaker). There is so much free play on those things that I am afraid that when I remove them and go to put them back on, I won't even be in the same ZIP code. Also how do you get to the top plate, the dash is in the way?

So unless you can tell me of some tricks on getting the alignment right, those puppies are staying on. Yes I am whimping out, but so far I have done way more than the original rattle can primer job this was going to be.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Phase 3 - 90% COMPLETED moving on...

Aside for the intimidating door hinges Phase 3 is done for now, I am taking a bit of a different approach with this phase. I won't be shooting primer on the doors and door jams until I shoot the front end all at once, tired of cleaning up the garage to be spotless in between phases. Also I won't need to buy more replacement charcoal filters for my mask. I guess this is one of those lessons you learn when you're not trying to learn anything.

So here are the parting shots of you guessed it... The Doors!

Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM
7gtthrilla
2nd Gear Member

Good luck with your project car. I will say one thing though. Don't rush this or go for a B+ when a little research can turn it into an A+ car. You don't need a ton of experience. You need a little experience, the will to learn, patience and being willing to do it over again and again to get it done right, and a lot of common sense. I promise you if you do these things, you will definitely be proud of what you restored and wont ever be ashamed of it or be willing to get rid of it. TRUST ME
Old 02-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Video Update

Well it's time for me to grow a pair and take this to another level, so here is a link to my first video. I don't know how to work the camera yet, I don't know how to narrate, so check it out and be gentle, I don't need you to drill me a new one especially if you wanna see more videos of an average guy like you, learning, struggling, and just working on his classic Mustang, hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeCTBzrv1Rs
Old 02-16-2011, 09:10 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Hey! I like the video! I think it's a great idea! Maybe put 2-14-11 or the matching date in the title so viewers can keep track. And no worries about being any certain way in the video, I think you did fine and doing it impromptu is a better idea.
But really, the video is great! It gives us an idea of what you're dealing with, car wise, shop/garage wise, etc. It's also a great way to update!
I really like 'em, kinda inspires me to make similar progress videos. I've got a little Flip camcorder that I might try out.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Phase 4 - The Front End

So we round third base, and we're on the home stretch. Why am I boring you with the step by step remove left blinker, remove right blinker detail. Well because that is the point. This is a big job. There is a reason why professional paint jobs cost so much, they are worth it. I just happen not to be able to afford one. If you can not deal with the amount of detail in this thread, then you won't be able to tackle this job properly, sad but true, am I right people?

Now let's start by removing the front bumper guards, that just sounds funny, it's like saying these are the body guards for my body guard, lol.

Quick Reply: Optimus Prime - The '68 Coupe