Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Homebuilt coilover system

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 04:51 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tweet66
If you use that heim, for added strength weld on another piece of steel above the heim to your lower shock mount. That way when you pass a bolt through the exiting clevis mount & then the heim, there will be a second piece of steel above the heim for the bolt to pass through. This adds strength to the mount and makes it less prone to bending. I have a great example pic of double sheer but I can't seem to attach anything from my hard drive....
This may not brake the part but it won't function properly either. The LCA can still twist.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:52 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eZ
here is how the LCA looks now.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Is this ball joint threaded in? Or is it the original ball joint?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:47 PM
buening

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
The local effects don't particularly depend on the inclination of the strut rod from the horizontal, although that may affect the magnitude of the axial load itself. You get bending equal to force "F" times the offset distance between their lines of action.

Let me try a sketch.

The black lines are as you assemble the joint and it is under no load.

The red lines are how it wants to be under a nominally axial load (the axial load really wants to be in a straight line with itself, or zero "offset").

What you end up with is something in between the black and the red outlines.

The devil is in the details, so the moments and the deformed shapes are only indicated (crudely). If you've got a thick piece bolted to a thin piece, the thin piece will bend far more than the thick piece will.

If the joint were to open up, the pin (bolt) can also come in for a bending stress term.

This is probably why the OE strut rods have two bolts each, in order to minimize the local effects of those single shear connections.

Norm
Sorry Norm, I was still thinking about the Clevis which is essentially double shear and the load axis of both the LCA plate and the strut rod are on the same plane. I agree with your theory on localized stresses with a single shear.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:25 PM
jeffstar

Default Clevis

On the Cornercarver forum there is a picture of a clevis that failed that was being used in a very similar fashion as shown in the previous pictures.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:27 PM
jeffstar

Default Clevis

On the Cornercarver forum there is a picture of a clevis that failed that was being used in a very similar fashion to that shown in the previous pictures.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Got a link?

Norm
Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 PM
jeffstar

Default Broken clevis

I can't recall what thread the picture was in on CC, I think this is the same picture reposted on the Vintage Mustang forum

http://www.streetortrack.com/files/vmf/clevis2b.jpg
Old 03-29-2011, 07:39 AM
buening

I believe it is this one (Post 20) but I've forgotten my username so I can't see the pic

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...ad.php?t=44054
Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 AM
jgemperline
1st Gear Member

Is that cast iron? That looks brittle to me. I have to think the material used has something to do with quality. Does anyone know a calculated load on this connection?

http://www.streetortrack.com/files/vmf/clevis2b.jpg

Last edited by jgemperline; 03-29-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Needed a picture.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:14 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Its crazy to think that circle track cars get away with using a clevis. I would think they put a hefty load on thier struts.

Quick Reply: Homebuilt coilover system