Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Extremely Original 5200 Mile 68 Gt to inspect

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:05 AM
psryan

Default Extremely Original 5200 Mile 68 Gt to inspect

An extremely original '68 Mustang GT with 5200 miles will be available for inspection at Barrett-Jackson next week. I post this because it would be very rare for judges, restorers and competitors to find another car that is 99.9% as it left the factory. I think some judges or other experts would want to document this car and use it as a base line. I am not a regular poster to this forum. I have owned the car since 1987 and nothing has been changed but the battery. It has never been shown...anywhere! I won't take up space here describing the car in detail, the details are at my personal website, The Prisma Collection.
The car will be on display at Barrett-Jackson from Monday through Thursday and it will be sold without reserve at 7PM Mountain Time Thursday evening and SpeedTV will be doing a feature on the car before it runs.

Here is the exact wording of the Barrett-Jackson information card. Copies of all original documents will be in the car in a binder and of course the originals come with the car.

This 1968 Mustang GT was purchased new by Glenn Tuttle, Jr of San Diego, CA. In 1969, after driving it only 4000 miles, he decided he loved it too much to drive so he put it on blocks in his garage. In 1978 he sold it in as new condition with every scrap of documentation (copies in scrapbook; originals in BJ Property Room). It was kept in as new condition and brought to the BJ auction in 1987 by Steve Davis of Valley Auto (Steve is now President of Barrett-Jackson ). It became part of a major collection. It has since been stored in temperature and humidity controlled conditions and driven a few miles periodically to keep it fresh. It now has less than 5200 miles and all of its original equipment except the battery (correct repro). The original tires are on special order factory Kelsey Hayes wire wheels (see buyer’s order). This Mustang has never been shown! Sold Thursday evening as a SpeedTV special feature at approximately 7PM. The car has the 302-4v engine, GT equipment group, knitted vinyl seats, Cruise-O-Matic, Clock, sport deck rear seat, console, Air Conditioner, Stereosonic 8 track tape (original demo tape still in cellophane), AM radio, front headrests, tachometer and trip odometer, and wire wheels.
If you have questions, my phone number is on the website. The car is already in Scottsdale so I can't go look at things for you. If you think this is posted in the wrong section of this forum or should be posted in other sections please email me at aduesie@yahoo.com

Pat Ryan
Montgomery, AL / Asheville, NC
Old 01-14-2011, 08:51 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

I wish that I could have seen this car when I was putzing around in Ashville last summer in my Mustang.

All that I can say is Wow. Looking at the pictures, that car is hot and in awesome condition. Very very nice car.

James
Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

That is an amazing car! It will be interesting to see what kind of price it fetches.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:39 AM
jonward786
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by psryan
he decided he loved it too much to drive so he put it on blocks in his garage.
people who love their cars drive them, in my opinion of course. never been a fan of trailer queens, no matter how rare or original.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:58 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

I went to B-J auction last year in Orange county. Talk about stupid money. I don't think the buyers knew what a socket is, let alone a wrench. Why work on it when you can pay someone else to get dirty, right? Constantly heard "this is 1 of 50, or 1 of 200", my response, I've got "1 of 1, one I built." It was an amazing adventure, and its one of those things ya gotta do once just to experience it. Some absolutely incredible cars! As for the GT, because it's an automatic, on a Thurs night, I'm thinkin it'll catch high 20's at best. Low 30 if there's a bidding war, being an original unrestored GT is a plus.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:01 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by groho
I went to B-J auction last year in Orange county. Talk about stupid money. I don't think the buyers knew what a socket is, let alone a wrench. Why work on it when you can pay someone else to get dirty, right? Constantly heard "this is 1 of 50, or 1 of 200", my response, I've got "1 of 1, one I built." It was an amazing adventure, and its one of those things ya gotta do once just to experience it. Some absolutely incredible cars! As for the GT, because it's an automatic, on a Thurs night, I'm thinkin it'll catch high 20's at best. Low 30 if there's a bidding war, being an original unrestored GT is a plus.
A GT with a 302 and not a 390....
Old 01-18-2011, 01:44 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jonward786
people who love their cars drive them, in my opinion of course. never been a fan of trailer queens, no matter how rare or original.
I hear that
Old 01-18-2011, 03:32 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

It's very nice, almost too nice. I would want to drive it, enjoy it, show it off, just like any new car one might buy, but with that kind of mileage who would want to be the one to take it past 10K and then 20K?

Kinda like giving a hooker a C note just to sit next to you in the car.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:11 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

just sold for $68,000. What was the term used earlier?....."stupid money"