Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Question about fender flares

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 02:12 PM
phish
2nd Gear Member

Default Question about fender flares

I wanted to make my fenders stick a little to be able to accommodate big tire sizes. I kinda wanted them to look like george manot's black fang mustang(you can search him on here).. My question is can you just roll the fenders out a little? because I do not want to add fiberglass fender flares. are there any flares I can buy that are metal prefabbed ???? any ideas on this???......I was told not to use the the premolded fiberglass flares as they will over time probably crack. And going with straight custom fabrication of sheet metal may cost too much.....I would really appreciate and thoughts you guys have
Old 01-25-2011, 02:46 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

How wide do you want to go (front and back)?

You can't really 'roll' the fenders out more...some people have trimmed then, flared them, welding in some more material, shaped and been done. you can 'roll' the lips and it will provide a small additional level of clearance.

Fiberglass flares tend to be faster and easier and if installed correctly can last for many many years without issues.

Last edited by dodgestang; 01-25-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:44 PM
phish
2nd Gear Member

so you can't roll the fenders anymore than they already are ? I was thinking of adding 1.5" fender flares from Mustang Depot (fiberglass)...Question is, will the y hold up?? I heard fiberglass the metal is not the best way to go. Does anyone know of flares that come in metal??
Old 01-25-2011, 08:17 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Again...if you install them correctly they will hold up for a long time. they won't outlast the pyramid or anything. What size tires do you want to run on the car?

You can run a 245 40 17 in the front and a 275 40 17 in the rear with only minor tweaks in most cases.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:24 PM
phish
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dodgestang
Again...if you install them correctly they will hold up for a long time. they won't outlast the pyramid or anything. What size tires do you want to run on the car?

You can run a 245 40 17 in the front and a 275 40 17 in the rear with only minor tweaks in most cases.
I was wanting to run those exact tire sizes in front and back.....I am really interested in extending the fenders out by 1.5"... but i have been recently told that fiberglass to metal would never hold up....how true is this?? this car will be driven only occasionally
Old 01-26-2011, 12:46 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Only metal ones i know of are http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fende...Q5fAccessories The fiberglass ones http://www.maierracing.com/ makes them.Fiberglass flares will stay on if you screw them on then fill in the holes.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:37 PM
phish
2nd Gear Member

I have talked to the guy about the flares posted on ebay......do you know of any 65 mustangs that have fender flares installed. I really like George Manot's Black fang. That is where I got the idea from. It loooks good but as I can see it costs about $1500 to add with painting and installation........thanks for the help so far
Old 01-27-2011, 01:48 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Google sn65 that's one car with the flares on it.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:17 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

The biggest issues with fiberglass to metal are road vibration, shrinkage and expansion. Since they handle all 3 differently you'll find the paint cracks overtime at the joint.
Our car has fiberglass headlight buckets bonded, and bolted, to the fenders and the rear fiberglass quarter end caps to the quarters. In the rear they are still perfect however the front buckets have slight cracks in the paint now at the joint.
Even just sitting this will happen eventually due to heat and cold heating and expanding the 2 materials. Add the vibration of the road and it happens quicker.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:06 PM
482supersnake

I am in the prosses of adding metal flares to my 67 fastback. I had looked at the ones on ebay and for what you are getting and the amount of work they are way over priced. What I ended up buying are two front left and two front right fenders from an early 90's Astro van. You cut out about 3 inches from the middle and you have the same look as the ebay fenders. Scott

Quick Reply: Question about fender flares