Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

My "new" 67' Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Iunderstang!

Default My "new" 67' Coupe

Hello,
I just wanted to introduce myself to the Forum. I've just bought a 1967 Coupe and I wanted to share images of it with everyone. I basically rescued it from death by rust from its previous owner. The car runs great. It has a 289 2-barrel, C4. It needs some TLC. I began to remove the surface rust here and there, cleaned the engine, changed cooling hoses and flushed the cooling system after 4 years in a garage totally abandoned (scale pebbles came out of the radiator!). Needs new tires. When I get back from Iraq next summer I will see if I can strip it down and restore it. It is going to be a challenge, and I will need your help with tips and advise (cheap parts!!). What do you think of my new ride?
Ivan
Old 02-15-2011, 12:28 PM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

lets get some pictures!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Iunderstang!

Here are some (Photo Album). I'll post more soon.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...-67-coupe.html
Old 02-15-2011, 12:56 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Looks nice! I like it!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

1st and foremost, thank you for your service, you guys (and gals) are doing a helluva' job.

Next up, that's a nicely optioned Coupe! Deluxe interior, A/C, floor console and don't let anyone talk you out of that rear ribbed tailpanel, the crappy repops go for $300+ originals are probably worth 2X that and they were a $10 dealer option! I see you have the turnsignal hood, my guess is you also have the lighting package - underhood light and trunk light. I have a '67 Coupe with all of the same options except factory A/C and floor console (have the upper console). Somebody paid extra to have all that put on when built.

Always ask before you replace anything because there's usually a worthwhile upgrade that is a little more or the same price for most every part on these cars.
Welcome and congrats, oh and go easy on the fb guys as everyone knows, COUPES RULE.
Jon
Old 02-16-2011, 07:10 AM
bluemustang1966
1st Gear Member

I wanted to say first, thanks for your service. I know all of us appreciate it and don't say it enough.

Also, sweet find! Looks to be in really good shape. A little TLC and she'll be like new.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 AM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

I would also like to thank you for your service.

I had a question about one of your photos.

Is this rigid look around the tail lights normal? I think that looks amazing and I don't remember seeing it anywhere.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...he-panels.html
Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Iunderstang!

Default Black-out Panel/Tail light plate

I was told by its previous owner it is a factory accessory. I am not sure. Is it? This is the ONLY (I emphasize!) 67-68 Mustang I've seen with this item. I never liked it. I prefer the chrome bezels around the six lights, just like all the others. I am considering removing it if I restore the car. I realize it attracts Classic Mustang enthusiasts out of curiosity, but I think it takes elegance away; those beautiful, irresistible, concave chrome bezeled taillights of the 67-68 that makes this car my favorite.
Yesterday evening I learned a tough lesson: ran out of gas uphill, at 10:00 pm, with the wife and the kids inside, on a narrow road, with cars fast constantly approaching. It was nervewracking. My neighbors rescued me! It had 1/8 of a tank left, but the climb angle, and the fact it has a carburator (!!), caused the trouble!
My R&R ends tomorrow and I'll be flying to the sandbox for the second half of the tour. It will be the longest 6 months of my life! Thanks for all the best wishes.
Ivan
Old 02-16-2011, 09:08 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

The chrome bezels are cool but that tail light panel you have isn't very common, so I think you should keep it. It looks very cool as is.

Good luck in the sandbox, stay safe out there! We'll be here when you get back, and if you have internet over there, you're always welcome here!

Thank you for your service!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:37 PM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iunderstang!
I was told by its previous owner it is a factory accessory. I am not sure. Is it? This is the ONLY (I emphasize!) 67-68 Mustang I've seen with this item.
I have that rear panel on my '67 convertible.
Attached Thumbnails My "new" 67' Coupe-dsc00773.jpg  

Quick Reply: My "new" 67' Coupe