Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Starter wont stop engaging

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:46 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Default Starter wont stop engaging

Started my car up for the first time since the october tonight and when I turned the key to turn the car on the starter engaged and started spinning and continued to engage even after i took the key out.
The solenoid is newer but its been sitting all winter. i dont know how but apparently the ignition wire is staying hot some how. any ideas? trying to get it going tomorrow to take it down to virginia.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Easiest thing to do would be to first pull the ignition coil to distributor wire to prevent the car from starting, then try starting the car again to see if the starter continues to run after the key is turned off. If it does there are at least two ways to check the solenoid's function. While the starter is running wild either take a voltage reading from either of the small solenoid wires to ground, or pull one of the wires off. If you have 12v with a reading something in the circuit is bad. If you have no voltage the solenoid is sticking.
If you pull a wire and the starter stops turning something in the circuit is bad. If the starter continues to run, again, the solenoid is sticking.
Make sure you pull that coil wire before trying again. Good Luck.

You could also tap the solenoid with a hammer. Tap the solenoid. Tap, not whack. If it stops the spinning it's the solenoid.

Last edited by Oxnard Montalvo; 02-26-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Cziglar

If it is the cicuit and the car still has it's stock wiring then the most likely the ignition switch. I'm not for sure on older cars the the key switch on the dash but the ones with it on the colum it is behind the gauge the pack.....
Old 02-26-2011, 10:32 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Chances are the solenoid is sticking, I know it is "new", but some of the offshore ones are crap, and even a "good" one might be prone to stick under certain conditions.

The plunger can actually weld itself to the contacts keeping the start circuit closed. This will often happen when trying to start a car with a low battery. When the solenoid repeatedly "cycles" (the dead battery clicking sound) due to low current they are prone to arcing and "welding up".

With the key off and both of the small wires disconnected from the solenoid, both wires should be dead.

If either wire (primarily the start signal) is hot, then the problem is with the start circuit, otherwise it is going to be the solenoid.

You can usually strike a stuck solenoid sharply and it will disengage, but once stuck a solenoid will usually stick again.

Last edited by JMD; 02-26-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:17 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

thanks guys

o yes i remember the old "tap" the solenoid with a wrench trick. did it many times with the old one thats why i finally replaced it. guess i just forgot about that one. well i tapped this "newer" one and just ended up taking all the wiring off and cleaned all the connections, put everything back together and now no problems. dont really know what did it but im going to go through and check the voltage and see what exactly is going on. hopefully it doesnt act up again

appreciate the help, glad to finally have this beast back on the road