Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

351 windsor build thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:24 AM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
There are factory four bolt main SBCs, but as stated, no Windsors.

Just a "fun fact", but a lot of today's prevailing thought is that factory four bolt main SBCs are not as good for performance as many of the two bolt main blocks.

Also, the 351 Windsor's main bolts are bigger than the SBC.
I have heard that the 4 bolt main caps help to prevent cap walk at higher rpms on the windsors..Apparently it begins to be a problem over 6500 rpms...The 351 Cleveland was available with 4 bolt main caps and that is probably where the confusion comes from..
Old 03-25-2011, 08:41 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by frdnut
I have heard that the 4 bolt main caps help to prevent cap walk at higher rpms on the windsors..Apparently it begins to be a problem over 6500 rpms...The 351 Cleveland was available with 4 bolt main caps and that is probably where the confusion comes from..
There are lots of folks who prefer to address the cap walk issue by pinning the two bolt caps instead of changing to, or going with a 4 bolt block. Some claim that these pinned caps are more reliable under extreme conditions than 4 bolt blocks.

I have never built anything super extreme, but for me two bolt caps have always worked fine, so my opinion is not really informed, it is just some stuff I have heard from people who should know...

Besides, the main bolts/studs on a 351 Windsor motor really do make the main bolts/studs on a SBC look wimpy...
Old 03-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Couper
2nd Gear Member

How bout a 3 bolt?
Old 03-25-2011, 01:33 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If you're at the point where you have to address cap walking issues, then you're a noob for using a stock block. :P Girdles help with that though, and while some people think girdles are pointless.....why do factory engineered high rpm engines have an integrated 1 piece unit that is ALL the main caps and a girdle as 1 single piece? Ever seen the bottom end of the high rpm Honda performance 4 bangers? All the main cap bolts come out and every main cap is part of 1 large single piece that's a combined cap/girdle assembly.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:00 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

I got myself a 351 block in pieces. Im not sure if its a 351w or 351c, if its a 2 main or 4. Ill take some photos and send you guys.

Not sure what to do with it though, I might buy a stroker kit for it....
Old 03-25-2011, 06:11 PM
woody99

ok so much for a build thread.... guess im not gonna document my build like others told me to do... sorry i got confused with everyone asking to see if it was 4 bolt or not but ok guess im not allowed to make a mistake sorry experts!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by woody99
ok so much for a build thread.... guess im not gonna document my build like others told me to do... sorry i got confused with everyone asking to see if it was 4 bolt or not but ok guess im not allowed to make a mistake sorry experts!
Don't take it that way. I was being a smart a$$ mostly because you came on here asking for advice only to ignore all the advice to say "I'm going to do what I want to do." Then why ask for advice and waste everyone's time?

If your new to this then take the advice people have to give because we all make mistakes and many people here have been through what you're going through. I've been through 3 engines including having machine work complete on 2 before changing my mind.

I found you have 2 choices, have a HUGE budget to buy your way out of your mistakes or take the advice given. I pushed you on the budget several times because putting the late model 351 into the car is not going to be free, even if its a perfectly running motor.

Stick around and document your build and most importantly LEARN something from the people here. I know in the last year I learned a lot, been building engines for a while but these are my first small blocks, my first Ford and my first car motor. Take a look at Ez coilover thread, that is a fine example of the incredible knowledge you can find here. My head spins every time I open that thread.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:46 PM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
If you're at the point where you have to address cap walking issues, then you're a noob for using a stock block. :P Girdles help with that though, and while some people think girdles are pointless.....why do factory engineered high rpm engines have an integrated 1 piece unit that is ALL the main caps and a girdle as 1 single piece? Ever seen the bottom end of the high rpm Honda performance 4 bangers? All the main cap bolts come out and every main cap is part of 1 large single piece that's a combined cap/girdle assembly.
Alot of the 8.2 deck crowd think the girdle is a saviour from keeping the block from cracking at higher power levels...It will not save it just kinda hold the parts together when it blows....As for looking at the bottom end of a Honda?..I hope I never have too..
Old 03-25-2011, 09:31 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by frdnut
Alot of the 8.2 deck crowd think the girdle is a saviour from keeping the block from cracking at higher power levels...It will not save it just kinda hold the parts together when it blows....As for looking at the bottom end of a Honda?..I hope I never have too..
Haha, yeah, it's certainly not a savior. I run a girdle, but for exactly what it does, help to keep the bottom end more stable at high rpm. But if the block is gonna break, it's gonna break whether it has a girdle or not.

And I mentioned the Honda because their crap is extremely well engineered and built. Look at all the abuse that ricer nubs put on those things, ever seen one with a bottom end ripped out of it? I've seen tons of 302's that ripped the webs out on the other hand.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:13 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

Heres my 351

Quick Reply: 351 windsor build thread