Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Inner rocker Q:

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:26 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

i chopped out some more floorpan and a little bit of rocker
Old 04-08-2011, 01:28 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

if you notice in the previous picture, i just cut off a piece of the side of the rocker, there was no bottom to it rust ate it straight off. too bad the rust didnt remove the whole thing, would have been alot easier for me.

by the way, im drilling from in to out on the spot welds.... is that correct?

Old 04-08-2011, 06:55 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

thats the best way to get spot welds on top. If you torque boxes are good. I'd try to do what 2+2 suggested. Just cut enough to get them out and slide new rocker in ones. I also used an air chisel to help seperate after I cut with spot weld cutter

Last edited by palerider; 04-08-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:29 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

i have new torque boxes, the old ones are a little rough looking towards the inner of the car, the bottom and wheel well area are OK but it prob will take the same amount of energy/time to cut and repair then the replace the whole thing. i have myself a nice air chisel, i sharepened them all nicely and tomorrow will try and free the tb and then inner rocker.

would you advise putting the car up and stands? meaning the whole car? or would you just support the car a little in few places but having it ultimately sitting on the wheels.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:28 AM
jgemperline
1st Gear Member

I would brace your door, At the least. once the inner rocker is out there is a thin "bridge" between door posts! At this poin I would not jack the car , or move it. But Im paranoid about alignment.

I use 1" square stock and 1/4" plate( I had around). I mounted to the striker!!! That's another issue. My striker was hard to get off!

Last edited by jgemperline; 04-08-2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: jacking car.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:52 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

yea my striker was a bitch to get off as well when i painted my car. i took the whole damn internal mechanism off and just replaced it with two washers and some bolts and a little bit of lock tite. i used two bolts for each screw.

im trying to do my rockers without doing too much damage to the rest of the car since nothning else needs doing. i didnt even know the car needed it when i got the car the floors were awesome, but awesome fiberglass work that is.... i wish i knew.

ill try and brace my car somehow without having to take the door hinges off. lets see.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:43 PM
jgemperline
1st Gear Member

How does it look in the back section? I'm thinking only patch on the passenger side. Still unsure about a patch here! Did you say you were putting subframe connectors on?
Old 04-09-2011, 01:17 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

on the inside of the car the rocker seems ok but from under, its missing. so no patch will do. i figured since i have it, will do a proper job once and for all.

lets see if im able to get any work done to it this weekend. i need a hand to pull the driver side door. will make a brace of some sort and start cutting some more. i gotta get the front torque box out before i go any further.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:18 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

yea i am gonna make some subframe connectors but will put them on after as i dont want them to interfere with putting on the floorpans. ill have to lift the car up but will not attempt to do so at this point.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:27 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

so how are you going to get the new one in the torque box? you gonna slice it open?

Quick Reply: Inner rocker Q: