Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

vinyl dye

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 08:27 AM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Default vinyl dye

Is this stuff good to use? my seats are red but I want to do a two colored pattern with red on the outside and white inner seat. I wont do it if the dye is crap because my seats are really nice.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:36 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: vinyl dye

Vinyl dye is really a paint of sorts. I used to change the color of my center console, and it turned out really well. On seats though, I would think it would eventually wear through. If I were you, I would think twice about putting it on your seats.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:08 AM
1965MustangFastback
2nd Gear Member

Vinyl die does work, but in this case I wouldnt try to cover red with white, The red will bleed through and it will come out a pink color!
Old 09-06-2005, 05:11 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

yeah believe me i am thinking twice because these seats are in mint condition. I also worried about going over red with white. I think ill hold off until i have money to just reaplace the seat covers.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Good choice. Try looking into the pony seat covers, and save your nickels in your piggy bank.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:22 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

I need every dollar i can get. Its gonna cost me $50 to get the radiator fixed. Hopefully this weekend I'll get the new manifold. Wow I really am restoring a mustang..... for a price. anyways going to take the radiator off.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Then, quit thinking about painting your seats, and concentrate on the mechanical aspects. Dang kid. Send you to school, buy you books, and you still can't read.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:10 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

thats my dad doing things like that i just gotta prove him wrong. I want get the engine running good first. Im talking about the new carb and manifold I need and hes bidding on turn turn signal levers. I think he is in a mid life crisis
Old 09-09-2005, 08:26 PM
chrua

I have repainted my WHOLE interior from red to black. I used vinyle spraypaint for the headliner and back seate. I havent driven it so none of the paint has taken any ware but the seat color wont blead through. My red seats are now black and have NO red on them. The only problem i have had is i put my backrest and the acctual seat on top of eachother and the paint stuck together which resulted in some of the paint coming off. The vinyl paint was $12 a can and it would take about 2 cans for the back seat and 2 for the front.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrua

I have repainted my WHOLE interior from red to black... I havent driven it so none of the paint has taken any ware...
I hate to be a wet blanket Chrua, but I'm afraid you may have wasted some time and money. All that dye will come off the seats as soon as you sit on it, and most likely off the arm rests as well. As stated before - it's really just spray paint with a flex agent added. It's not proper "dye." I applaud Tylerdu for doing his research first!

Quick Reply: vinyl dye