Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

6 speed transmission for

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 05:17 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default 6 speed transmission for

Hello again. My fiance decided that she wants a 6 speed transmission for her 68' Mustang with that 351C in it. Its going to make around 500-600hp and she believes in "Why have all that power if your just going to waste some of it with an auto?" Which i dont blaim her, infact i think its a really cool project.</P>

Basicly we want a 6spd that can handle 600+ ponies pounding under that hood, she wants to have pedel left at 120mph and be able to goose it and increase her speed dramaticly. We arent sure on the rear end gear ratior either, but we are going to get a ford 9 inch. As of the exact measurments of that 9 inch, we arent too exactly sure about that.</P>

What is the best tranny and rear end for her engine making that much power and wanting that much speed. Her RPM redline is going to be right around 7500rpms.</P>

Thanks guys.</P>

Sincerely Eric and April.</P>
Old 12-11-2003, 07:47 PM
ysumustang68

i recently did a 5.0 swap in my 68 mustang and put the aod in there as well. since it was automatic in the first place that was the easiest way to go considering i had the 5.0 and aod sitting there. anyway, the car had a six in it first and came with the classy one wheel rear drive. We are looking for 9 inch rearends as well and heard that 355 or 373 gears are the definite way to go for performance and mileage together. as for the trans, i believe they are making T-5 conversions for the older mustangs as i had to get trans mounts that fit the aod rather than the c4. i honestly don't know why you'd need more than 5 gears, that would suit performance and highway driving fine. A six speed is just more shifts killing your time at the drag strip. </P>
Old 12-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Jugador1
I ♥ Acer

actually i believe 6th is just an additional overdrive so you can top out at ungodly speeds
Old 12-12-2003, 01:45 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

w000 h000 I like the sound of that "actually i believe 6th is just an additional overdrive so you can top out at ungodly speeds" Of course now we have to post a thread on how to upgrade her suspension with something,,, more modern, perhaps a 94-03 Cobra R suspension or something around those lines... Look for the post cause its comin around tonight </P>

</P>

If there are some websites that I can go to to check out 6spd's for her stang and conversion kits, please add the link. We have a T5 in our 95' Stang and we like it alot, but we got to try a 03' Cobra 6spd and liked that alot, but the shift was well, tight and a bit stiffer then the T5. But there are kits to soften them a bit while adding performance. I have learned alot about those Clutch kits recently because our 95's 11" T5 clutch is toast so we ordered a brand spankin new Spec Stage III clutch kit which cost a grand total of $368.20 When it gets here tomorrow im going to jack out stang up and install it. The Spec Stage III is rated at 500 ft lbs or torque! We have a 3.8L in our stang and plan to modify it alot in the next few months.</P>

So web pages and general info are very much needed, thanks again everyone.</P>

Sincerely April and Eric.</P>
Old 01-04-2004, 06:23 PM
jmylius

Hi guys: </P>

I'm new to the forum.Ihave a '67 coupe undergoing body work restoration now, and I have decided that I want to install a late model (2001 or newer) GT engine and 5-speed and rear end. I'd appreciate any leads that you guys may have to someone who has done this type swap before and could offer some advice.</P>

Thanks a bunch.</P>

Jim</P>