Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1968 Fastback J-Code Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 04:55 PM
mustang1216688

i love it , a new thread
Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 PM
MustangFTW

Originally Posted by NoReins
Awesome! Looking very forward to your project. It makes me happy to know that they are helping people.

Yes, Eleanor in mine, and Sally will be ours, hehe. It's Aaron's turn to call all the shots on this one. Although I've already said that it will be original, I'd love to paint it black with saddle interior. I got a big N-O on that suggestion. So it looks like it will be Lime Gold with the Ivy Gold interior. Which I know a lot of people don't like that color but I actually really like it. So that's what she'll be.

Since it was so nice out yesterday we decided to head over to the shop and whipe the cobwebs off of her. We knew the floor was completely bad but we weren't sure what else we'd find. Fortunately, the owner repaired the floor with galvanized sheetmetal and used a rivet gun and glue to attach it over the old rusty floor. No cutting involved!
the only way it should be

although i might be a bit biased -_-

the Lime Gold looks AMAZING in real life, the pictures dont do it justice at all.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:20 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Yup! Love the Lime Gold.

I'm not sure how much work we'll be doing this winter on this car. So I will update as we go but I can't promise any major progress right away as we won't be moving this car into the heated building this winter. Also, we have to be careful as Eleanor still has a hefty price left in order to get her on the road.

Also, the past two days have been more of a result from Mustang withdrawal symptoms...

Driver's side looks just as bad. Ford's rust proofing at it's finest, once again.

Since I started stripping the driver's fender I thought I'd finish it and get some epoxy from Southern Polyurethanes, Inc on it so I wouldn't be re-stripping it 6 months from now. 80 grit sand scratches, clean it with waterbourne wax and grease remover (also from Southern Polyurethanes), and then spray. It's gray because we mixed left over black with some white.

Last edited by NoReins; 11-06-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Thats awesome that your restoring this one as original. I too like the lime gold color.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:25 PM
CandyRed07GT

Where's my update ?
Old 11-12-2011, 07:05 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
Thats awesome that your restoring this one as original. I too like the lime gold color.
Yesss! And the redeeming starts now You have to give me some slack about Eleanor, with the shape she was in she could have gone straight to the crusher.

Originally Posted by CandyRed07GT
Where's my update ?
I'll try to give an update later today. CJ Pony had a special last week so we ordered some more replacement pieces. We have to get the engine out before we can start replacing anything, which I'm dreading.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:29 AM
MustangFTW

If you have the front clip off taking out the engine should be cake. I wouldn't even bother taking off the accessories just motor mounts, ground wires, and transmission mount, drive shaft etc.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:41 PM
CandyRed07GT

Any news on the restoration? And did you get any goodies for it on black friday?
Old 12-02-2011, 05:44 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CandyRed07GT
Any news on the restoration? And did you get any goodies for it on black friday?
No news on the restoration I'm trying to convince my father in law to let us bring the car into his shop, but he's not giving in! It's way too cold to work on it without heat. We did purchase the front frame rail extensions, both torque boxes and toe boards. The engine still needs to come out before we replace anything of it though. The only update I can give is that I stripped the other fender a couple weeks ago and sprayed it with epoxy, but apparently I didn't take any pictures of it with epoxy on it. Good news is both fenders are in very nice shape.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:31 AM
Shoelessjoe75

I feel your pain about it getting cold. Wish it was warm all year round in Chicago. What type o paint gun and what size compressor are you using. I want to shoot the primer myself too.

Quick Reply: 1968 Fastback J-Code Restoration