Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Anyone have USA-630 radio in their Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:02 PM
rbrown22
2nd Gear Member

I have had it in my '65 for over two years.. No issues... Sounds great and looks even better..
Old 12-23-2011, 11:14 AM
MajMotorsports
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Good luck with it i heard enough horror stories about their brand.
what kind of horror stories? My dad has a radio from the same company in his streetrod and havent had any problems with it yet, except for the antenna, but that is going to change over the winter anyway
Old 12-23-2011, 11:29 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Everybody knows someone, who knows someone, whose best friends uncle had a problem with them. The fact is that Custom Autosound has been around for at least 30 years. No business can survive that long if they produce a crappy product.

Its funny, the same people that crap on CA are the ones that rave about Secret Audio, which is made by CA.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TexasAxMan
Everybody knows someone, who knows someone, whose best friends uncle had a problem with them. The fact is that Custom Autosound has been around for at least 30 years. No business can survive that long if they produce a crappy product.

Its funny, the same people that crap on CA are the ones that rave about Secret Audio, which is made by CA.
I have replaced MANY of those radios mainly because they sound like crap or just stop working. I was begged to put one in a 56 Ford wagon.It worked for 3 days and then wouldnt turn off.I personally took it back to Custom Autosound.There STACKS of radios that were defective.When i asked what was worng with them,they wouldnt say.

The people that like Custom Autosound just want something to listen to and really dont have a need for something with sound quality, just looks.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:32 PM
MajMotorsports
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TexasAxMan

yea I know that story, like I said have a CA radio in my dad's streetrod for the past 3/4 years and it works fine.

Probably most people that complain about them didnt wire them up correctly or they mickey-moused it together.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:28 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Most of their units die after 2 years about the time the warranty wears out on it too.I have heard some people swear they last a long time and sound good,But i seen more post on different forums saying other wise.From what i have seen its crap my step dad bought one 5 years ago for his 55 chevy it sounded ok but not good enough for me.A little over 2 years it wouldn't turn on he checked the wiring everything was fine so he shipped it back and was told the warranty is up buy another one.After that he cut the dash for a din size and has been happier since.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:10 AM
MajMotorsports
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Most of their units die after 2 years about the time the warranty wears out on it too.I have heard some people swear they last a long time and sound good,But i seen more post on different forums saying other wise.From what i have seen its crap my step dad bought one 5 years ago for his 55 chevy it sounded ok but not good enough for me.A little over 2 years it wouldn't turn on he checked the wiring everything was fine so he shipped it back and was told the warranty is up buy another one.After that he cut the dash for a din size and has been happier since.
i dont understand what u are saying about the sound? Shouldnt that be a fault of the speakers?
Old 12-25-2011, 05:18 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The speakers was brand new and not cheap just the head unit lacked the power to drive them fully.I'm kinda a audiophile I'm not as bad as Iskwezm he does car audio for a living and does know his stuff.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:36 PM
MajMotorsports
1st Gear Member

gotcha
Old 12-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

your sound will only be as good as the source unit.You can put better speakers, but in the end its like putting perfume on a pig.Its only gonna sound so good.I dont like to bad mouth different brands, but I have installed them, i have removed them.They are ok for something to listen to, but you can do better for the same or less money.

Quick Reply: Anyone have USA-630 radio in their Mustang?