Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Not starting, New situation.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:48 PM
MustangFTW

I didn't check since yesterday morning, I checked spark at one and it did have spark, checked another and it didn't, them my battery died soon after so i couldnt do more tests, tomorrow I will double check the timing and use the water pump as a ground since I haven't painted it yet.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Gun Jam

you can use whatever method you want to test spark but also test by placing a wrench 1" above the coil if it makes the jump then you can be pretty certain the ignition system is golden. My MSD would jump to the monte carlo bar (before I painted it) thats like 3" its a hungry man dont get between it and a ground. But when the box started to fail it would hardly jump to a grounded wrench just barely above the coil. I replaced the box and it was an animal again.

you could even use a piece of wire warped around a ground and simply bend it until its 1"above the coil...you can adjusts its height too for further results.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:15 PM
MustangFTW

Alright will do, I did check the coil using a spark plug and it made a mean lookin spark, ill try at a few different distances though.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Gun Jam

Just in case I wasn't clear this test is done with the boot off so the spark should jump directly out of the coil neck to the wire (or wrench)

If you get a really kick butt spark using the above test but intermittent spark other places it could be time for a new cap and rotor or new wires (but you got those already right)

Testing it this way eliminates the wires, dizzy and lets you know "hey at least this part works"

Good luck

-Gun
Old 01-09-2012, 08:01 AM
MustangFTW

Alright, ill check this and report back.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:52 AM
MustangFTW

Checked the coil using a grounded wire, makes a nice strong spark.

I took a picture of where I set the dizzy when at tdc, do this look like 1 o clock? Maybe I'm being picky but it looks like it could be between 1 and 2, i made a mark on the internet at the position of the rotor so that i rotated and set the #1 plug at the rotors location. when I cranked it it sounds like it wants to start so im thinking I should try to readjust the timing @ tdc

Old 01-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Gun Jam

if your sure the engine is at TDC compression stroke then its okay if the rotor isnt exactly where you think it should be.

Try this:

1) Place the cap on the dizzy and find plug wire 1 where it plugs into the dizzy cap.
2) Draw a line on the metal dizzy housing so this line if it were to extend vertically it would pass directly into the boot of plug wire 1 (or at least in line) that plugs into the dizzy cap
3) remove the cap and twist the housing until metal tip on the rotor is directly centered on the line that you drew on the dizzy housing.

4) the car should start if not give the dizzy a slight twist to the right to adv the timing
Old 01-09-2012, 12:29 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Make sure your getting fuel too. Otherwise I think timing.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:06 PM
MustangFTW

fuel is definitely squirting into the carb and getting to the plugs, and i know i have compression so its definitely timing.

i took a picture of the closest I've gotten to 1 o clock, ill try to adjust it better but tell me what you think.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Gun Jam

It does look a bit towards noon (if we assume 12oc is the carb 3oc is the coil and 6oc is the water pump)...but I run mine a about 3oclock because my dizzy has ears on each side (3 and 9oc) so I like to the sit about parallel to the radiator or it looks weird and wires tangle up.

if the engine is at TDC then all that matters is that the rotor sits direclty under plug wire one.

Also make sure that the dizzy is plugged into whatever it needs to be plugged into (i forget that all the time on my MSD)

-Gun

Quick Reply: Not starting, New situation.