Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Not starting, New situation.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 03:49 PM
MustangFTW

Default Not starting, New situation.

So I need to get the mustang running, its getting cold and inconvenient to store it in the garage, it needs to be driven.

I am getting spark to the coil, i tested it with a spark plug.

When i took off the spark plug wires from the dizzy cap and cranked it i see sparks at the dizzy cap from all the holes, so i know im getting spark to the dizzy and its attempting to send them to the spark plugs.

This is where it gets weird, when i reconnect the spark plug wires and test for spark using a spark plug i dont see a spark, it seems like it might only be on some of them since i tested a different one this morning and it worked great.

I just replaced the spark plug wire, the other ones looked old.

Last time i posted i had the carb spittin unburned gas and smoke out the top, i figured out this may have been due to the timing being 180* out, so i used a tube and ballon to get the compression stroke and dropped the distributor back it with it point to as close to 1 o'clock as possible, looks like it is between 1 and 2 but it wont get any closer to 1, could removing the dizzy and turning the engine over a tiny bit by hand then dropping it back in help get it closer to 1? im thinking the timing marks on the damper might be off a bit.

Now there is nothing blowing outa the carb so i think i have it right this time.

also, is there any reason the back spark plugs are wet with fuel but the front ones arent/are barely wet?

so i know i need:

1. Spark
2. Fuel
3. Compression

I know i have Fuel and Compression (balloon expanded to slightly larger then baseball when cranking) but spark im stumped, im charging the battery since it died today and will test all the plugs for spark later this evening and report back, but i need to know why i see sparks the the distributor but not at the plugs when they are grounded.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Gun Jam

set engine to TDC like you did and then you'll have to start with the rotor behind plug 1 so when you stab the dizzy and the gears mesh by the time the dizzy seats it should be pretty close to 1. Then Rotate the dizzy housing until its very very close to 1 should be close enough that you cant tell one way or the other. Then use a timing light to time the engine.

Do you think the coil is weak? If you remove the boot and place a grounded wrench 1" above the neck of the coil it should jump to that wrench. If not your spark maybe very weak and not consistent enough to provide steady run.

So check those things first.

-Gun
Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 AM
MustangFTW

I forgot to mention that im running pertronix ignitor 2 and flamethrower 2 coil.

Another thing is, turning the distributor doesn't seem to effect the rotor at all, I'll get a video up asap.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 AM
MustangFTW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2HL...e_gdata_player

Sorry about the video ratio its the first time I used my phone to take+ upload my vid.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Gun Jam

No its working perfect.

If the dizzy cap was on the dizzy then then as you rotate the housing the rotor stays put but the cap rotates.

Place the cap on the dizzy then rotate the dizzy housing just like in the video until the rotor (which does not move) is directly aligned with the post for plug wire one.

Look at the inside of the cap...you'll see all the contacts for each plug wire. We want the contact for plug wire one directly above the rotor. You do this by twisting the dizzy housing like in the video.

make sense yet?

-Gun

PS I assumes the cap is keyed so it only fits on one way. You'll have to lift the cap up a bit and peek to see if you are close to plug 1

Last edited by Gun Jam; 01-08-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:13 AM
MustangFTW

Ahh okay, makes sense. I'll try it out and report back.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:21 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

It doesn't matter where the rotor points when you're at TDC on #1, it only matters that which ever way it points is where the #1 plug wire is placed.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Are you sure your not seeing spark at the plugs are u doing this by ur self or do you have one person cranking it over and one person looking for the spark? I would assume your dizy is not timed right or your still off when setting it. When you go to put the dizy in the rotor will rotate a little bit when getting it to drop in so sometimes you have to go a tooth back and it will rotate to the #1 plug on cap. Either way it doesnt really matter because all thats really going to change if your a tooth off is the vacume on the front of the dizy will be farther to the right or left then normal. I would do a little research on how to time a car without a timing light. Or watch videos on u tube as it seem like ur a bit confused on some parts. Its more easy to see then to have someone try to explain it to you.

I would also assume the rear plugs being flooded are from the engine being angled back and sounds like you have tried to get it to start a few times. So i would not be worried about that.

Also you are correct with the compression stroke with #1 plug out and rotating the engine you will get air out of the cylinder and thats telling you that you are on the right stroke.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:18 PM
MustangFTW

I had someone checking for spark, might be a bad ground though, ill try it again tomorrow morning with a better ground and try again.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:41 PM
Gun Jam

so its not getting spark?

How did you check?

Quick Reply: Not starting, New situation.