Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need some help,....

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Couper
2nd Gear Member

Default Need some help,....

67, front frame rails, both side,...there are supports rods that are attached to the front bumper supports that are then bolted into the frame, two horizontal bolts hold all of this together on each side.

These bolts don't go through the front frame, but have threaded nuts attached/welded to the interior frame, then the frame was welded/sealed up.

On both sides, the rear bolts both snapped off at the head, while one of the front bolts has had its attached/welded nut come loose, so its only off about half way.

Certainly someone else has run into this problem as they were taking their Rustang apart. I'll probably have to hacksaw the bolt in half to get that bumper support off, no problem,...the question is now I want to get inside the front frame and take a look. There is no visible rust on the exterior frame, but this interior nut snapped off and on the bottom of the frame there are small holes on each side of the car right next to the bolts, so you can reach your finger up there and feel some flaking, not to mention also see this nut freely spinning as you turn the bolt.

I'm thinking about cutting out/off the front cap of the frame rail to look inside, stick in a long hose and spray some type of rust converter into the frame,....any other suggestions.

I'd post a picture but I'm not sure how yet,...been taking pics along the way to share them at some point though!

THANKS!!!

Last edited by Couper; 02-12-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:16 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Probably the best way to fix that is to section out a X" x X" part of the frame and weld in a patch from another piece or make you own. Be sure to make detailed notes or a pattern of where the nut inserts were located. The real problem with this is if the inside is really rusty the old material may be a bit thin and difficult to weld to.

If the frame rail/s are in really poor condition, you might consider replacing them/it.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Couper
2nd Gear Member

Default bump

bumped
Old 04-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Couper
2nd Gear Member

link to palerider's build where he had just the aanswer that I was looking for,.....thanks PR!

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...lestone-3.html

Last edited by Couper; 04-25-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Couper
2nd Gear Member

another good link

http://www.68vert.blogspot.com/2008/...ail-patch.html