Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Suggestions on steering?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:02 AM
cheapstang68
1st Gear Member

Default Suggestions on steering?

Hey guys,
I was wondering if any of you can give me any good suggestions on a cost effective steering system? preferably not power, my headers would get in the way. I have looked at a couple rack and pinion steering systems, but they are all over 1500. Are they really that expensive? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

I went with the Unisteer manual (New version) from Summit, it was $775 shipped.

If I ever build another mustang/Falcon I would not hesitate to use it again.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Why do you need a different steering system? If you replace any currently sloppy components and properly adjust the box, you shouldn't have any play in the system.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 PM
cheapstang68
1st Gear Member

Im replacing for fitment issues i guess. New headers knock the steering around, on a hard turn. Is there a spacer of some sorts that can be used? to stop the headers from hitting the arm?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:47 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

+1 to starfury...do the shelby stuff the control arm drop, quick ratio steering etc
Old 04-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I think you're trying to fix the problem the wrong way. If your headers hit the steering...they don't fit. It's easier to find a set that does fit than to replace a perfectly good steering setup to accommodate some cheap headers.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Couper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
I think you're trying to fix the problem the wrong way. If your headers hit the steering...they don't fit. It's easier to find a set that does fit than to replace a perfectly good steering setup to accommodate some cheap headers.
i agree
Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Dude, I think you forget to get the steering drop bracket> I had to get one.

here is is!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-10961HKR/
Old 04-26-2012, 12:17 AM
cheapstang68
1st Gear Member

@starfury,
Im not trying to sound rude, but no where in my posting did I say these were cheap headers. Do you guys think that I got them from some craigslist add or something? I got them from a local mustang only performance shop. So they are definatly not cheap. And its not the steering arm that hits the header, its the steering rack on the passenger side. I gave you guys mis-information.

As far as the bracket, wouldnt I need two? or am I wrong. Its hits on the passenger side of the car.

Last edited by cheapstang68; 04-26-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

1) Just because you got the headers from a Mustang performance shop doesn't mean they're high quality. Even Heddmann and Hooker headers are known to have poor fitment issues, although usually they clear the steering at least. If you just got these headers, call your supplier and tell them they don't fit, see if they can work with you to get you another set.

2) There is no 'steering rack' on a factory steering setup. Are you talking about the idler arm?

The p/s drop bracket alters the location of the power steering pump, not the steering. You cannot relocate the steering linkage.

Converting to a rack and pinion setup would most likely give you more fitment issues, as quite a few of the headers I've seen state that they won't clear in a R&P setup.

The fact is, there are headers out there that fit without little or no modification. You may pay a little more for them, but the end result is proper clearance without being forced to needlessly modify your steering.

Last edited by Starfury; 04-26-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on steering?