Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
torinostroker

Vehicle: 1971 ford torino 500
Default MOUNTING AFTERMARKET FUEL CELL

how have you guys mounted your aftermarket fuel cell? just got one and need some ideas it has a sump so it has to be raised.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
torinostroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Sniper_Clown

Vehicle: 1990 Ford Mustang GT

I have allways liked the half and half install. build a mount for it to sit in halfway below the trunk floor.
Sniper_Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1971, Ford, Mustang Spring Sport Coupe

I would just go in the trunk. I do agree with Sniper_Clown on the half and half setup though, looks neat. If you just want a quickie install, no harm in just slapping it in the trunk.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
racer_dave
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967 Mustang Fastback

I'm assuming the cell already has a steel can? I build a cradle out of 1"sq tube and then use either more 1" tube or some 1"x1/8 strap to secure it across the top. Do NOT just cut a hole in the trunk and then use the bolt holes in the flange of the can to mount it to the chassis. It's not strong enough.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
torinostroker

Vehicle: 1971 ford torino 500

ok, well i have taken the old one out and patched that hole just by some sheet metal, braces and bolts. but you are saying cut a hole in the floor for the sump to stick out to run lines and keep the rest inside?
torinostroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1969 Mustang Coupe
OPR track roller control arms, track perches 1" 560lb springs 1/2 coil cut, 4.5 leafs reverse eye grab a trak 1.5" shelby drop, 70' spindles, baer bump. kit monte carlo bar, tinman conn. soon gas a just front, stock rear 1.125" front sway bar, 70" manual steering linkage

Personally, if I was going through the trouble of installing a fuel cell I would at LEAST do half in/half out. I never like seeing them sitting in the trunk for 2 reasons: it takes up all of the trunk and it raises the center of gravity due to the weight of the fuel. If you see pictures of old cars turned into race cars oftentimes the fuel cells hang rather low, to keep the weight at a lower height in the car.
If you really know what you're doing, you can even make sort of a rear diffuser over the bottom of the fuel cell. It adds protection, looks cool (if done properly), and hey maybe even makes the car more stable at high speed. I think even without anything fancy, it looks cool to see the fuel cell from the rear of the car.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Mustang Fastback
Send a message via Yahoo to Iskwezm

year back we cut open a gas tank and used that to hold the fuel cell so from the outside it looked stock. It was a street/strip car so we wanted it a little hidden

2006 Mustang Gt 'Vert-12 sec. daily driver-sold
2006 F250 PSD,9"lift,37's on 20's,King coilovers,air ride,Gearheads 120hp tune,Phoenix Gold 6600 watts,4 12's
1965 FASTBACK- 18X8 18X9.5" TSW's 235/275 M/T's,
http://www.mustangandfords.com/featu...own/index.html
Iskwezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:58 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1998, 67, 9604, aftermarket, cell, cells, fox, fuel, install, installation, mount, mounting, mustang, rear, trunk