Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 with Power Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 10:17 PM
hfelknor

Default 66 with Power Brakes

The Mustang finally got here and I think I have been had.[>:]

Let me ask a question......
When a classic Mustang has power brakes, am I wrong in assuming that it would have a large vacuum booster mounted under the hood?
These brakes are terrible and there doesn't appear to be a booster.

Power steering - Seems to be very slow. and certainly is not overboosted! I can see the Power steering pump, but I am not impressed.

Generator - the car won't start without a jump. After I get it started, shouldn't that Amp Gauge show a STRONG charge? My Gauge just sits in the middle.
I don't think it is charging at all. I ran it for 30 minutes at about 2,000 RPM or so, and it would not start the car.

AC - Doesn't feel like the AC is doing anything.
I can't tell if the clutch is engaging. Shouldn't I be able to tell?

Doors - For a car that was advertised as "ground up restoration", the doors feel like junk. They have to be slammed with a lot of force, otherwise they are not
aligned and the bottom sticks out a good 1/2 inch.

Hood - Nice paint job on the car, marred by chips on the front edges of the hood. The hood appears centered but it still touches the fenders on both sides.
The fenders need to be spread maybe 3/16 each. Is that easily done? Is that why so many people use the shock tower bars?

Guess I got took.
I could have bought a decent driver for a lot less than what I paid for this. I am 67 years old and not in position to work on the car and do not want to
put a lot of money into it.

Homer

Old 09-21-2005, 12:02 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 66 with Power Brakes

Yes, you should see a power booster under the hood. Your Alternator or voltage regulator is probably bad, causing it not to charge. A quick test is to take the positive battery cable off, while it's running. It should stay running with it off. WHen the AC cuts on you should be able to see inside of the compressor spinning.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:14 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Hi Homer, you probably did not get taken. I'll give you my two cents inside your quote in bold.

ORIGINAL: hfelknor

The Mustang finally got here and I think I have been had.[>:]

Let me ask a question......
When a classic Mustang has power brakes, am I wrong in assuming that it would have a large vacuum booster mounted under the hood?
These brakes are terrible and there doesn't appear to be a booster.

That is correct. However if you have factory disc brakes you DO NOT have a booster. They also feel like the pedal is rock hard, and they won't stop near as good as your '71 F250 pickup.

Power steering - Seems to be very slow. and certainly is not overboosted! I can see the Power steering pump, but I am not impressed.

Yeah, it was a little light in the butt, and because it is power assist, there is a vague feeling on center

Generator - the car won't start without a jump. After I get it started, shouldn't that Amp Gauge show a STRONG charge? My Gauge just sits in the middle.
I don't think it is charging at all. I ran it for 30 minutes at about 2,000 RPM or so, and it would not start the car.

The factory amp gauge in '66 was...well, it looks cool, but is about as useless as **** on a boar. You need to have it looked over.

AC - Doesn't feel like the AC is doing anything.
I can't tell if the clutch is engaging. Shouldn't I be able to tell? Yes, if the charge is low the compressor will not kick in.

Doors - For a car that was advertised as "ground up restoration", the doors feel like junk. They have to be slammed with a lot of force, otherwise they are not
aligned and the bottom sticks out a good 1/2 inch.

Hood - Nice paint job on the car, marred by chips on the front edges of the hood. The hood appears centered but it still touches the fenders on both sides.
The fenders need to be spread maybe 3/16 each. Is that easily done? Is that why so many people use the shock tower bars?

Sounds like it needs some time at a body shop getting all the panels fit together correctly.

Guess I got took.
I could have bought a decent driver for a lot less than what I paid for this. I am 67 years old and not in position to work on the car and do not want to
put a lot of money into it.

Now here is the part where you get scolded. For less than $500.00 you could have had a professional inspector look over the vehicle for you, and given you a good report. Glad you posted this, as it is a good lesson for others to heed.
Unless you paid way over the going price for your year and model, you probably did not get "taken", however it will take a little longer to catch up with the appreciation, as it sounds like you will need to put another $1,000.00 into it to get everything dialed in.

Find a local club, who will suggest a competent technician to give your car a thorough

Homer

Old 09-21-2005, 12:22 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 6mustang6

Yes, you should see a power booster under the hood. Your Alternator or voltage regulator is probably bad, causing it not to charge. A quick test is to take the positive battery cable off, while it's running. It should stay running with it off. WHen the AC cuts on you should be able to see inside of the compressor spinning.

Never disconnect the battery cable on a running engine! That is not how you check a charging system, and can in fact ruin a perfectly good alt/regulator. If your battery is gassing and you get a spark, you can blow the top right off the battery and get acid all over you and the car.
BAD, BAD, BAD advice!

not trying to slam you man, just please don't ever do that or tell anyone else to do that. I've personally seen the results of what I just wrote above. In one instance the guy had a saileen (sp) drip going in his eyes for 1/2 an hour in the emergency room. When I saw him at work again, his face was... just nasty. And he said it was the worst experience in his life.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:24 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Actually my 66 amp guage works great! My dads 67 doesn't move at all, but my 66 tells you exactly what is going on. I was surprised actually, but he said his car wasn't starting, so i figured something was wrong with the charging system.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:27 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Whoa, im sorry. I really have never heard that before.[:'(] SORRY
Old 09-21-2005, 12:42 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

No sweat man, in fact it's kind of good you made that post.

I've heard that same advice given out by seasoned mechanics. So don't feel bad. It's pretty scary when one of those things goes off though!

The first time I saw it was almost 30 years ago. Scared the crap out of all of us. And our autoshop teacher had to explain to the dean what happened. Over the years I've seen 5 serious accidents and probably another dozen or so minor incidents.

One guy at a shop were I worked, layed a wrench on top of the battery and his jacket zipper snagged the wrench and top of the aircleaner. The wrench touched the postive post, and the whole front of his jacket went off. It was like a cartoon, and if it hadn't been real I'd still be laughing. He lucked out and only ended up with a scar on his chin and half his beard gone.

When your around this stuff long enough you see the darnedest things.

Old 09-21-2005, 12:47 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I dont believe anyone hasn't grounded the two posts together. For some reason i like to lay my leg againest the bumper when tightning the positive cable. Nice little tingling sensation going on there.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:10 AM
hfelknor

I want to thank everybody for the replies.
I bought this car over Ebay from a dealer in MO.
Advertised as "restored from the ground up" and "needs nothing".

Going to call him tomorrow to see what he will do.
At this point I don't even know what I want him to do.
Certainly I would consider shipping it back to him if he would return my money.
I would be out of shipping both ways, but I would at least have most of my money.
I find that education costs.
I paid $16,700.

I have also contacted my local Mustang club (Ft Myers FL) and await their response.

As to paying a mechanic.....
Seems like a good idea.

But if I can't trust a dealer in MO, why should I trust a mechanic in MO?

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

Homer
Old 09-22-2005, 11:33 PM
hfelknor

Well, the dealer won't back out of the deal
Expresses no knowledge of the Power Brake fiasco.

Well, no need crying over spilled brake fluid.

Anybody here know what it takes to make these brakes, power brakes?
A place to call for the parts?
I don't want to spend the money for a disc brake conversion.

and remember I am over age and under qualified to do much of my own work.

Went to the Mustang club meeting.
Rained like heck so there was a small turnout, but it was still very positive.
Got a lead on a guy who is going to do the hood/fenders/doors and touch up the chips.
They showed me how to remove the Alternator and take it to Advance Auto parts for testing.
They also recommended replacing the Regulator unless it was BRAND NEW, with a solid state unit.

IF I HAD IT TO DO OVER AGAIN:

I would join a Mustang Club BEFORE I bought a Mustang! I can't over emphasize how much this would have helped.
It's always possible to pick up a local car that has been lovingly rebuilt/restored.

Even if I didn't buy here, what I could have done was use the MCA and talk to the Club
Prez in the area I was interested in.
The Club Prez here has helped out a couple of long range buyers by going and looking
at some cars for them. Of course he is not a professional, but still, his input has to be helpful.

BTW, they all agreed with Scott H's post.
Made me feel better anyway and gave me the optimism needed to forge ahead.
I didn't want a project, but we don't always get what we want in this world.

I got a little verbose here, but don't forget, I am looking for some help with the power brakes.
A parts house that knows exactly what it takes would be good?????

Homer

Quick Reply: 66 with Power Brakes