Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What have I gotten myself into?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 AM
chuckmcd

The car is home and has been for about two months now. It drives fine and everything is doing well. No leaks and an essentially brand new engine.

My son and I have replaced the gas tank and repaired a leak int he fuel line.

I have a friend in FL who owns a garage. He's offered to let us stay for a couple of weeks with him and work on the car in his place. We could get all the body work done and paint.

My question now is how much trouble is it to replace the rear frame rails and the quarter panels? Is there a reproducible procedure? I'm really just paying for parts if I go this route, so what do you think that would take?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:15 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

I did a full quarter replacement and a skin replacement,you can see what it took to do it here..
https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...s-of-pics.html

It takes A LOT of work to do it.

Lynn
Old 11-01-2012, 09:46 AM
chuckmcd

Lynn,

I'm really new at this, and I'm working on the plan of how to fix this. If you've kept up with this thread you know that mu car has some back end damage. It's drivable and safe, but it's off, and I want to be able to make this car right with my boys.

here are some pics of the rear end.

As you can see from the orange line, the quarter panel is crooked. The line is follows the ridge on the body that should go straight all the way back.

This is is the problem with the gap caused buy the poorly installed quarter panel.

You can see here that the bumper is pushed in on the drivers side from where the car was rear ended. The frame rail on that side if bent... I don't have a picture of that. the tail light panel is tweaked because of the frame rail and the quarter panel.

In the trunk you can see the bed needs to be replaced on this side, along with the quarter panel and the tail light assembly, etc.

I have a question about quarter panels. If you get the full quarter does it include the metal that goes all the way to the trunk on the side? I see how the quarter skin you installed just went to the peak of the ridge on the body. Does the full quarter continue down to where the deck lid meets the body?