Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

T-5 difficult to get into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:32 PM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

Default T-5 difficult to get into reverse

Hey guys, been a while since I've posted anything on here. I've noticed the last few times that I've taken my '66 out, its been kinda tough to get my t-5 into reverse. It grinds a bit when I cram it into only reverse. Also, every now and again, the clutch pedal hangs about halfway up when released. I am pretty sure I just need to get under there and adjust my cable clutch to help it engage more fully. Anyone have any more ideas? I will be putting it up on a lift hopefully later this weekend, given the weather cooperates.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:50 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

reverse is gonna grind going into gear its not synchronized like the rest of the gears...try putting it in 3rd then reverse should make it a little easier to get in gear. also your clutch linkage could be out of adjustment too
Old 06-23-2012, 06:24 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Hi,
I usually go into 1st, before reverse. This stops the reverse gear (s) from rotating and "always" slides into reverse without complaining.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Gun Jam

I have great success by going into 5th first then R straight up then straight down works well with mine
Old 06-23-2012, 11:47 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

depending on the year t-5 you have they were non-snychronized for reverse , in later years there was a brake added to such to stop the grind for reverse
Old 06-24-2012, 11:29 AM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys, I'll try all the above mentioned ideas. I believe my clutch needs to be adjusted too because of the sometimes hanging clutch pedal. Also, I've had the T-5 in there for a couple years now and I really hadn't noticed any difficulty getting into reverse until a few months ago, although I hadn't driven it much this Winter either. I am unsure of what year it is. I bought it new about 4 years ago, then after the original installer only filled it to the drain plug (duh!) I had to get it rebuilt, and of course the warranty didn't cover that.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:38 PM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

Seems to have worked... I have been sticking it in 3rd or 5th before reverse and so far, not a hiccup. I still need to get underneath and adjust the cable, but that will come with some dry weather...
Old 06-30-2012, 07:45 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

its usually just inertia build up, just hold the clutch and give it a couple seconds and it should go in with no problem.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

I have a '91 GT with a T5 that I purchased new. In 21 years of ownership it's ALWAYS been difficult to get into reverse.......I always double clutch it a bit and it pops right in.....been that way since day one.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:55 PM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Falcopilot
I have a '91 GT with a T5 that I purchased new. In 21 years of ownership it's ALWAYS been difficult to get into reverse.......I always double clutch it a bit and it pops right in.....been that way since day one.
Hi,
I can just about guarantee, if you go into first or 5th, i'll not balk going into reverse! Simply stated, It has o do with the gear and shafts.
Happy Motoring!

Quick Reply: T-5 difficult to get into reverse