Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Suspension Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 11:13 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

here is my 65 with 620's up front but stock rear leafs in the rear(i also have 1.5 inch flares all the way around

Old 07-03-2012, 05:57 AM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

I had an epiphany in the shower this morning........I think I have a an idea of exactly what is going on here.......when I get home from work I'm going to find out. If I'm right I'll let you guys know and post it, because it's something that others may learn from. I even looked at it at 5:30 this morning on my way out and it looks like I confirmed what I'm thinking. Keep your fingers crossed.......I am. Sorry to be so cryptic, but if I'm right, you'll understand why.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:00 AM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
The mid-eye leafs are sitting exactly as they should. They're designed to drop the ride height, and they appear to be sitting at about the same level as mine, which are the exact same springs.
I LOVE where the rear is sitting with those mid-eyes.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

So much for that idea. If I'd known then what I know now, I would have went a different route with this suspension........thought I'd thoroughly reasearched it before buying the parts..........guess not. ALL my lessons are learned the hard and expensive way........grrrrrrr........hmmmm.......can't WAIT to see how this engine and transmission swap turns out..........hmpf.......this stance is unacceptable and will be addressed at a later date.

On a lighter note: Thanks for ALL of your thoughts, opinions and suggestions, I truly do appreciate them. Thumbs up to everyone, good on ya!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:00 PM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Falcopilot
So much for that idea. If I'd known then what I know now, I would have went a different route with this suspension........thought I'd thoroughly reasearched it before buying the parts..........guess not. ALL my lessons are learned the hard and expensive way........grrrrrrr........hmmmm.......can't WAIT to see how this engine and transmission swap turns out..........hmpf.......this stance is unacceptable and will be addressed at a later date.

On a lighter note: Thanks for ALL of your thoughts, opinions and suggestions, I truly do appreciate them. Thumbs up to everyone, good on ya!
Hi,
Don't throw in the towel yet. We may still be able to sort it. ....After the 4th!
With that, enjoy the family the camaraderie of your friends and Happy 4th!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenash
Hi,
Don't throw in the towel yet. We may still be able to sort it. ....After the 4th!
With that, enjoy the family the camaraderie of your friends and Happy 4th!
Oh, the towel isn't thrown in........nor will it be......not my nature.....I'm just going to hang myself with it......

JUUUUUUUUUUST KIDDING!!!

I'm okay...and I WILL get it sorted at some point....it's only money, right?

Happy 4th to you also, and thanks!!
Old 07-04-2012, 12:41 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Cutting the coils is easy and it will get you the ride height you want. It sometimes gets a bad rap because of all the guys who used torches to do it and buggered up the springs. The whole operation will only take an hour or so. Make life easy on yourself...
Old 07-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

It doesn't sound like you want to bring the front down to make the car level but want to bring the rear up to be stock height (~1"- 2") above the tire. If so I would say the only correct way to do it is to swap to standard leafs. I'm sure you could find someone that would want to swap mideyes for standard leafs, there's got to be someone unhappy with the ride ht. of their new standard leafs just as you are with the mideyes.
Jon
Old 07-07-2012, 11:24 PM
wgc68nyc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Falcopilot
Okay........Grab-A-Trak 620lb coil springs up front and Grab-A-Trak 4 1/2 leaf, mid-eye in the back.

Any ideas from the experts? It looks like I lowered the rear and raised the front???
The 620 will sit high since they are so stiff unless they said they were a lower height. The mid eye leafs will drop your car an inch in the back. I would do the shelby drop before cutting anything or buying extended shackles to lift the back.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wgc68nyc
The 620 will sit high since they are so stiff unless they said they were a lower height. The mid eye leafs will drop your car an inch in the back. I would do the shelby drop before cutting anything or buying extended shackles to lift the back.
Thanks.

I've already ordered extended shackles.......only $40. Like you suggested, I'm going to see what the drop does to it before trying them though.

What pisses me off is the with the worn out suspension, the car sat PERFECT......I was trying my best to replicate that with the parts I bought.

Quick Reply: Suspension Disappointment