Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:13 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Default Starter issue

New starter installed, new solenoid as well. I turn the key and all I get is clicking. As if the starter is stuck, or the battery is low. It isnt a battery issue cause Im using my wifes jeep battery. I dont have a battery for the mustang yet as it is not running, so I use jumper cables to hook up to my mustang cables. I tried it with the jeep running and not.

HMMM??
Old 08-06-2012, 06:18 PM
live2shred303

maybe you have high resistance in the circuit. could be loose terminal connections. or loose wire connections.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Gun Jam

might try new battery cables (Replace all 4AWG wires) if they look well used if they look okay then clean every spot where they touch metal. (battery, solenoid, starter motor, block ground)

-Gun
Old 08-06-2012, 07:08 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
might try new battery cables (Replace all 4AWG wires) if they look well used if they look okay then clean every spot where they touch metal. (battery, solenoid, starter motor, block ground)

-Gun
The cables are new. The battery box is in the trunk so they are the THICK wires I think 0 or 1 gauge. My jumper cables are smaller than the actual battery cables.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:54 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

where is the battery ground connected? Does it go to the body or the engine. If it goes to the body, do you have an engine ground as well?
Also, I had starter issues a month ago. It turned out, I had 3 bad starters in a row. They were all purchased at oriellys. what a PITA
Old 08-07-2012, 12:55 AM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
where is the battery ground connected? Does it go to the body or the engine. If it goes to the body, do you have an engine ground as well?
Also, I had starter issues a month ago. It turned out, I had 3 bad starters in a row. They were all purchased at oriellys. what a PITA
HAHA...bummer, I hope I dont get that unlucky.

Yes the battery is grounded to the body, and yes I just put a new ground from block to firewall.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:12 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Try to move the engine ground directly to the battery.
Clean the cables
Did you replace the soleniod? You should everytime you replace the starter.
Tap on the starter with a plastic mallet or a heavy screwdruver hanle
Old 08-08-2012, 09:57 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Okay, 12.9 volts at the battery, same at the hot side of the solenoid. I turn the key and only get half that at the stater post on the solenoid. All it does is click repeatedly. SOOO I take the battery cable and touch i to the other side of the solenoid and i get a small spark and then...wait for it...nothing! WTF man. Im ready to start this beast up!!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:21 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Sounds like you have a bad ground. My 03 had a bad ground and it wouldn't start, just click. I would try to jump it off, but it would not work. Ended up moving the negative cable on the jump box to the block and it cranked right up.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:29 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1slow67
Sounds like you have a bad ground. My 03 had a bad ground and it wouldn't start, just click. I would try to jump it off, but it would not work. Ended up moving the negative cable on the jump box to the block and it cranked right up.
Ok before all this I did install a short 12 inch ground wire from the firewall to an intake bolt. I hooked up a test light to the battery cable and gently touched all parts of the motor and engine bay with good ground.

Should I run another ground to the actual block? This is really pissing me off.

This is the last thing that needs to happen, everything else is done and I want to start this bad boy...

Quick Reply: Starter issue