Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Serpentine belt questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:49 AM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Default Serpentine belt questions.

Hey guys, going to be using an 85 5.0 in my 71. Was thinking about keeping my power steering but I had a few questions.

Do V-belt setups run in opposite directions from serpentine? Also, is serpentine stronger? I had alot of squeeling from my belts when the car was running, replaced both and all that and still had problems, assuming a serpentine will be better.

Also, if I decide to delete my power steering, where would I go to find a custom length serpentine belt? Do they make a kind of delete kit for that?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-22-2012, 01:23 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

on the none power steering look at any parts house website see if they sell the belt for none power steering.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:52 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craig71springsport
Hey guys, going to be using an 85 5.0 in my 71. Was thinking about keeping my power steering but I had a few questions.

Do V-belt setups run in opposite directions from serpentine? Also, is serpentine stronger? I had alot of squeeling from my belts when the car was running, replaced both and all that and still had problems, assuming a serpentine will be better.

Also, if I decide to delete my power steering, where would I go to find a custom length serpentine belt? Do they make a kind of delete kit for that?

Thanks guys!
You can buy any length serpentine belt you want. The only thing that spins backwards is the water pump. I put a March kit on my 66.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:26 AM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
You can buy any length serpentine belt you want. The only thing that spins backwards is the water pump. I put a March kit on my 66.
So do you think March would sell the belt I need?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:27 AM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
on the none power steering look at any parts house website see if they sell the belt for none power steering.
Gonna look at March as the other fine gentlemen has suggested. Do you think there will need to be some sort of pulley or tensioner put in the pumps place?
Old 08-22-2012, 12:05 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

non power 71-73 steering boxes are fairly uncommon out of the 9 of them i owned only one had a manual box in it
Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

In case you are wondering what an '85 5.0L Ford serpentine belt setup looks like...

FWIW, you can hook your stock high pressure hose to the '85 pump with a simple adapter from a hose shop. Works great.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:34 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gothand
In case you are wondering what an '85 5.0L Ford serpentine belt setup looks like...

FWIW, you can hook your stock high pressure hose to the '85 pump with a simple adapter from a hose shop. Works great.
If I end up getting new lines before I drop the engine in I will, the one line is STUCK stronger than anything I've ever seen! Gonna have to cut the line and get a grabber bit on it, because I've more than stripped it.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:20 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

I have a march in my 70 and I dont really consider it a serpentine system. Although it uses serpentine belts (you can measure and get at autozone). Does not really have serpentine setup like newer cars (no pulley). Plus you have to run an electric fuel pump if you want PS. No reason for electric fuel pump unless you are goig EFI. Just more things to wire and run your costs up. On my 66 build I'm going to look closely at CVP - see attached.

http://www.cvfracing.com/289-302-pulley-kits-s/140.htm

http://www.cvfracing.com/289-302-pulley-kits-s/140.htm
Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Have you looked at c1pulleys.com in one picture you can see the mechanical fuel pump

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt questions.