Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Exhaust options for 351w with long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 04:08 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default Exhaust options for 351w with long tube headers

Hello all, for my birthday I got a pair of ceramic coated Hedman long tube headers, so now I need to piece together the rest of my system. I'm looking to do the rest of the system on as much of a budget as possible.

My '69 has a 351w in it, stock/mild build. Will 2.5" exhaust be too much? My headers came with 3" to 2.5" reducers that I can use. I will also probably go with an H-pipe unless you all can convince me otherwise.

Which mufflers would you all recommend? I dont like too much drone and/or the tinny sound often heard with flow masters. My car currently has some old glasspacks on it that I like so I'm leaning towards getting another set of those, especially since they are cheaper.

And for my main question, is there a good place online to just buy a full exhaust kit from the headers back that will bolt onto long tubes? I like doing the work myself so if there are some good kits out there that will be less expensive than getting a custom exhaust at a shop, I'd like to go that route! I also have a MIG welder I could use if need be, but i'm no pro. I can handle minor fabrication and welding.

Sorry for all the words, any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:15 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

you won't find an exhaust kit that will simply bolt to your collectors.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

I found a system on ebay a few years back that worked out pretty good. Can't remember who I bought it from but it was just the pipes to run all the way out to the rear. Takes little cutting, and you supply the glasspacks (if you want) and the mufflers. I have glasspacks I picked up somewhere and the stock style muffler. (2 in/2 out, single muffler) I'm running 2.5 in and it works great. Super quiet too. Thinking of pulling the muffler and relacing with some short pipes. After building my motor again, giving my stereo to my kid, I want to hear it for a while.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:09 AM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

magnaflow or borla. i personally have glass packs similar to shelby gt-350 set up. It has hardly any drone and when you get on it sounds like classic old school muscle
Old 09-10-2012, 01:07 PM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TomKat
magnaflow or borla. i personally have glass packs similar to shelby gt-350 set up. It has hardly any drone and when you get on it sounds like classic old school muscle
Do you think glass packs are quieter than Flow Masters, Manaflow, or Borlas? (hoping to answer a question I have as well as help the original poster)

@the orginal poster: I bought and installed a JBA exhaust system, shortie headers on back to the tips. 2.5". I'm older, so it was a bit too loud for me. Swapped out the JBA mufflers for some Summit Turbos, still too loud. Swapped them out with some Flowmaster 44s I believe (one of thier quieter series), still too loud for me. Either I will try some manaflows at some point or just draw the conclusion that the 2.5" is too large to quite down.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:17 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the responses everyone. I understand nothing will bolt up to the headers exactly since the spacing will be different for all applications. Here's an idea what I'm looking at, a full 2.5" flowmaster kit with Super 44's

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-17282/

Still pricey though, and I like I said in my original post, I'm not too fond of the flowmaster sound. Ideally there will be a kit like this that comes with glasspacks and therefore much cheaper and fits the sound I'm used to.

I definitely look into magnaflow and borla though. Magnaflow still doesn't give quite the sound I like from what I remember, but I do remember liking it more than flowmaster.

Any other suggestions? keep them coming!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:55 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

this is a borla xr-1 sportsman (3"), which is a straight through design (similar to the common magnaflow, but smaller in total volume).

Old 09-10-2012, 08:54 PM
KidsStang

Have you put those headers on yet??????, Hows the fit???
Old 09-11-2012, 12:27 AM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Use some sort of glasspack in front of some dynomax super turbos. It sounds mellow on the cars I've heard it from. Maybe there are some videos on youtube? Efficient systems I think.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:10 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Sounds nice while revved Buckeye, I may look into those borla xr-1's. Very aggressive!

KidsStang, no they are not installed yet, I'm still working through options.

guitarman376, I'm not sure if I'm into a two muffler design, I'm not too concerned with my car sounding mellow

Quick Reply: Exhaust options for 351w with long tube headers