Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Brake swap progress and PITA

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Default Brake swap progress and PITA

Doing the CSRP front power disc upgrade on The Coupe......the rotors and calipers were so very simple. (Let me stop here and say what an awesome and complete kit this is!!). Now to the PITA's........I have managed to only get ONE of the TWO upper brake line fittings broken loose from the distribution bock......and that was with a huge breaker bar......the other has been resistant to ALL of my efforts, which would include what seems like GALLONS of PB Blaster. The fitting is now stripped......of course.....and now to scheme up some way of getting it off. The other problem is the bolt that holds the power disc brake pedal in place at the top of the pedal arm.....there is a tiny lip on the edge of the bracket that holds the wiper motor that is stopping the bolt from sliding all the way in.....I have worked on this one bolt, off and on for DAYS now..........grrrrrrrrr...........my back is protesting from being upside down under the dash for so long......I know I'll get it eventually, but felt the need to vent to people who understand. Carry-on.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:04 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

good luck
Old 10-06-2012, 01:39 AM
66fstbck27

I feel your pain brother..... Maybe try removing the whole brake pedal assembly? Or try taking out the instrument cluster... Gives you a WHOLE new view on things...
Old 10-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Yeah, removing the cluster helps a lot when getting at that stuff, if you haven't done it already.

As far as the brake fittings go, USE HEAT! Get yourself a propane torch and heat up that fitting to get it a nice glowing orange, if possible. PB Blaster has a really high flash point and will not explode in your face if you heat it up. If you still can't get things apart, you may need to consider buying a new distribution block. It might be worth the money to simply hack the old lines off and replace everything rather than spend all your time trying to salvage the old, rusty pieces.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:42 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Heat is your friend, like starfury said. Sounds like you need to do some rerouting now anyways if the fitting is stripped.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys.......GOT IT!!!!! I went an bought some low profile "bolt-outs" from Craftsman and they did not work.........got pissed off and clamped the vice grips as tight as they would go and gave it a yank......POW.......broke loose!!!! Go figure...
New lines are going on for the new master cylinder and booster as I'm upgrading to power brakes......wanted to keep the distribution block and thankfully it looks like I will!!!

Also have to get the proportioning valve and lines for it sorted.

Now........as for that brake-pedal bolt.................I think the best way to get to it is to remove the wiper motor and bracket.......don't really want to, but looks like the only way to get it done.

This car is going to be SO freakin cool when I'm done.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:48 AM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Falcopilot
Also have to get the proportioning valve and lines for it sorted.
Let us know once you get that sorted! I've been staring at mine (also CSRP swap) for a few weeks now trying to figure out where to locate the proportioning valve. I know the intended location is on the bracket bolted to the master cylinder, but I'm extremely tight in there. I was unable to find any pictures online to help my imagination...
Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by crunchyskippy
Let us know once you get that sorted! I've been staring at mine (also CSRP swap) for a few weeks now trying to figure out where to locate the proportioning valve. I know the intended location is on the bracket bolted to the master cylinder, but I'm extremely tight in there. I was unable to find any pictures online to help my imagination...
I am STILL trying to get this bolt in for the pedal.......this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever encountered while turning wrenches I believe. I am going insane. I had to apologize to my son for the tantrum I threw in the car this afternoon.......embarrassing.

I saw one picture online of the PV hooked up. It wasn't mounted to ANYTHING......just hanging in the air below the master cyclinder.....which really isn't too bad an idea. I bought my kit BEFORE he started selling mounting brackets for the PV. :-(

I'll let you know what I do with it.

NOT having a good time here. :-(
Old 10-09-2012, 08:11 PM
sideshow_downs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by crunchyskippy
I put my proportioning valve under the master cylinder with the **** pointing down there is alot of room under there.
Name:  IMG_0315.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  65.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0314.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  97.7 KB
Old 10-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Cool! Thanks Sideshow!

We actually got the pedal installed tonight!!! Thank God!!! Now to move on!!!

Quick Reply: Brake swap progress and PITA