Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help finding T-10 Bellhousing

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 PM
ronjames1

Default Help finding T-10 Bellhousing

I'm trying to get my 1966 Ragtop back on the road after sitting idle for many years and am having problems finding a bellhousing. It has a 200 CID I6 with a 4 spd manual T-10 BW transmission. I've spent several days looking on-line through vintage mustang sites, salvage yards, performance parts sites, etc... and I can't seem to come up with the right bellhousing. I've got the 8 1/2 inch clutch and believe the bellhousing is a 6 bolt pattern. (the car is currently in my sons auto tech class at the high school, so I don't have easy access to look at it right now) Any ideas? Thanks.

Ron
Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Are you sure it is the BW T-10. There was another 4 speed unit offered with the 6 cylinder cars.

If it is a T-10 you may have a hard time depending on the bolt pattern. The early T-10's had a narrow bolt pattern that typically bolted to the older pre-65 5 bolt housing. The T-10 was phased out in 65 around the same time ford went to the 6 bolt bellhousing found on most the later inlines and sbf's.

I'm running into a similar situation with my 66 ranchero that I'm trying to put a T-10 into.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 AM
ronjames1

PReal,

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I'm sure it is a Borg Warner and not the Ford top-loader. I've seen the remnants of the tranny sitting on the bench at the auto-tech shop and have also verified it with the VIN ID plate on the door. I've asked the auto-tech teacher to pull the rest of the bell housing off and verify the bolt pattern to make sure I'm looking for the right part. The book says it's supposed to be a C3DA-6394-A for that engine/transmission combo. Still having a hard time finding anything to match it. I believe the BW-T-10 was normally paired with the 289 and everything I've read indicates that finding a BW T-10 on the I6 is not very common. Am wondering if the same bell housing was used in both setups? I'll keep hunting...

Ron
Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

You can use the bell housing, clutch fork, and dust cover from a 67-69 I6 Mustang. Also use the flywheel and install the 67-79 clutch/pressure plate/throw-out bearing assembly if you in fact have a 1966 or newer 200 cid block. You mentioned that the present clutch was an 8.5" setup, which only came on the 1965 and older I6. If the block is 1965 or older, the 1967 bell housing setup won't bolt up, and your only solution is to either find an adapter plate for the existing bell housing and tranny or locate a bell housing from an early (1962ish) Econoline van. The Econoline bell housing is pretty much made of unobtainium these days, and the adapter plate method still sticks you with the 8.5" clutch setup which is really cheesy on a good day.
Best,
Al
Old 10-23-2012, 08:59 AM
ronjames1

Al,

Thanks very much for the additional options. I'm not positive on the clutch size, but was going by some information I found on another website that stated "If your starter attaches with THREE bolts to the bell housing you have an 8.5” clutch". I would attach a picture of the remnants of my bell housing whcih shows the 3 bolt pattern, but can't figure out how to do that in my post. As to whether all 3 bolts are used to attach the starter, I'll have to check with the auto-tech intructor to verify how it came off (or just have him measure the clutch parts).

I've got numerous requests out to the various online salvage parts networks looking for this bell housing. Assuming I come up blank, I'm guessing my next best option for getting this thing back on the road is to do the T-5 swap. If I go that route, I'll still need a bell housing and the appropriate adapter plate to mate up to the T-5. Are the bolt patterns on the block fairly standard? Can I just get a bell housing from a 3 speed and the proper adapter plate and make that work? I know there are at least 2 different bolt patterns, dual for the 8.5 and 9, and then just the pattern for the 9. Will any bel housing for a 9" mate up to this block? Since I have to buy a new transmission anyway, might as well go T-5 if I can go back to original. That seems to be the most economical way to get back on the road.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ronjames1
Al,

Thanks very much for the additional options. I'm not positive on the clutch size, but was going by some information I found on another website that stated "If your starter attaches with THREE bolts to the bell housing you have an 8.5” clutch". I would attach a picture of the remnants of my bell housing whcih shows the 3 bolt pattern, but can't figure out how to do that in my post. As to whether all 3 bolts are used to attach the starter, I'll have to check with the auto-tech intructor to verify how it came off (or just have him measure the clutch parts).

I've got numerous requests out to the various online salvage parts networks looking for this bell housing. Assuming I come up blank, I'm guessing my next best option for getting this thing back on the road is to do the T-5 swap. If I go that route, I'll still need a bell housing and the appropriate adapter plate to mate up to the T-5. Are the bolt patterns on the block fairly standard? Can I just get a bell housing from a 3 speed and the proper adapter plate and make that work? I know there are at least 2 different bolt patterns, dual for the 8.5 and 9, and then just the pattern for the 9. Will any bel housing for a 9" mate up to this block? Since I have to buy a new transmission anyway, might as well go T-5 if I can go back to original. That seems to be the most economical way to get back on the road.
I've been having a hard time deciding between the T-10 and the T-5 in my ranchero as well. The benefits are that I have the T-10 and if I had the right bellhousing it would bolt right up. I could also consider drilling out the bolt locations and use nuts to hold it to the BH.

Ultimately the T5 swap will get me much better gearing, overdrive, and has a lot more support. The T-5 jsut requires an adapter place that bolts to the factory bellhousing. You can even use all of your existing clutch setup and bellhousing if you want. I'm planning on selling the T-10 for $150 or $200 and using those proceeds to finance the T-5 upgrade.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:40 AM
paulo
1st Gear Member

Gonna do a T5 swap in next few weeks with my 69 GT convert. It only has a 3 speed so definately needed. Plus seems like it got stuck in 1st last week on nice day. At least it died at end of day lol. I wished it was the shifter but disconnected it and shifter worked fine. Tranny arm was stuck. Ideallly I want a 93 cobra tranny but harder to find. I had a line on a 94 but from what I read you need a 93 and earlier so on I look for it. I saw a whole T10 on ebay but I think it was over 1,30o so if you are going to sell, look into that you may be able to recoup a lot of you cost. Reading the t5 conversion does not look too bad. I am undecided if I will do swap with t5 bellhousing or use the adaptor plate.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 AM
ronjames1

Yeah, my preference is to find the right bell housing. It would just be easier all the way around. But, the downside is not too bad, either. T-5 would mean better mileage and better performance on the highway.

If you're working with a 66 Ranchero, that's basicially the same engine/tranny as the Falcon, right? So, the T-10 is the same. I still need to procure a T-10 replacement for mine, but have been holding off to make sure I can find the bell housing. If I do and you decide to swap to a T-5, perhaps we could work something out on your T-10.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:31 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ronjames1
Yeah, my preference is to find the right bell housing. It would just be easier all the way around. But, the downside is not too bad, either. T-5 would mean better mileage and better performance on the highway.

If you're working with a 66 Ranchero, that's basicially the same engine/tranny as the Falcon, right? So, the T-10 is the same. I still need to procure a T-10 replacement for mine, but have been holding off to make sure I can find the bell housing. If I do and you decide to swap to a T-5, perhaps we could work something out on your T-10.
I would be happy to work something out for my T-10. I do not know the condition and assume it needs to be rebuilt. I'm leaning towards the T-5 becuase the shifter locatoin should work out better.

My T-10 only has the narrow mounts. Basically a 65 or earlier bell housing may need to be used. There shouldnt be any problem finding a bell housing for a early 6 with the narrow t-10 or toploader mounting pattern.

The 66 ranchero shares the platform with the 66-70 falcons and fairlanes. It uses a 67+ mustang front suspension.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Boy, howdy!!! Lots of confusion out here with the I6 bell housings and the T-5, toploader, T-10 trannys.
1. The 1965 and earlier I6 bell housing WILL NOT fit up to a T-5, T-10, Toploader or 3.03 three speed Ford transmission without the use of an adapter plate.
2. The 1965 and earlier I6 transmissions were non-synchronized light-weight junk. The clutch setup is 8.5" with a dual surface flywheel. It also is light-weight junk.
2. The 1967-69 Mustangs with I6 motors had a bell housing that will bolt up a fully synchronized 3.03 three speed, a toploader, or a T-10. It utilizes a 9" flywheel and clutch setup. The 9" is noticeably stronger than the cheesy 8.5".
3. A V8 10" bell housing WILL NOT bolt onto any I6 other than the later 250 CID.
4. A T-5 install will require an adapter plate regardless of which bell housing you have.
5. Redrilling any bell housing to fit up another transmission is a bad idea. IMHO, you cannot strengthen the bell housing around the new holes sufficiently to support the new transmission. In addition, you most likely will NOT get the transmission properly aligned when you head in that direction.
6. The 1965 and earlier 8.5" bell housing uses a 3 bolt starter. The 1966 9" bell housing uses a 3 bolt starter. The 1967-69 9" bell housing uses a two bolt starter.
7. If you have an interest, I may have a 67 bell housing, dust cover and fork somewhere in my shop under the proverbial old work bench. Best I recall, it ain't pretty, but it will work if you have a 1966 or newer I6 block. E-mail Mrmust@juno.com
Best,
Al

Quick Reply: Help finding T-10 Bellhousing