Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1971 Front drum brake shoes not returning

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Gasoline
1st Gear Member

Hi,

shoes are installed correctly. So are springs, but I noticed that I put on the master cylinder diaphragm without making the caps flat and pushed into the cup. Could this caused the oil not going back and forth correctly in the first place?

I could easily push the car and I could hear the shoes slightly touching the drums - which is correct. But I noticed that they touched even more after I had stepped on the brake pedal a few times. So either it is still normal adjusting procedure or it is something wrong with the master cylinder.

I will let you know when I drive the car. Maybe I should just take the car for a long drive and see if the problems disappears since I let a professional turn the inside of the drums. If not I will take the master cylinder apart. If so, what should be done with the master cylinder? What should I look for? Is it the brake outlet port that is the problem?

Thomas
Old 11-08-2012, 07:55 AM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

Masters are so cheap just get a new one rather than mess around rebuilding it.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:58 AM
Gasoline
1st Gear Member

Hello,

I wanted to update you by mention that I changed brake fluid, brake hoses and checked that the brake pedal returned fully. When I bleed the system there was not so much air this time and I´m guessing that the brake hoses were swollen causing the fluid not returning.

I took the car for a short spin and I noticed that it was easier to push the car afterwards, but I could still hear that the brakes were just touching the drums. Maybe they are suppose to do that, but I´m also gonna chek the brake combination valve. I got a tip that you have to reset it after having problems with the brakes.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Gasoline
1st Gear Member

I have been to a few car shows and the car is working fine. Changing brake hoses did the job.

Have a great summer!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:53 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gasoline
Hello,

I wanted to update you by mention that I changed brake fluid, brake hoses and checked that the brake pedal returned fully. When I bleed the system there was not so much air this time and I´m guessing that the brake hoses were swollen causing the fluid not returning.

I took the car for a short spin and I noticed that it was easier to push the car afterwards, but I could still hear that the brakes were just touching the drums. Maybe they are suppose to do that, but I´m also gonna chek the brake combination valve. I got a tip that you have to reset it after having problems with the brakes.
A properly adjusted drum brake has a slight drag when rotated and there is a light sound of rubbing. It should also be a constant sound of rubbing not rub then stop then rub. Back in the old days we used to take new shoes and grind them a little bit (this is called arc-ing) so they match the contour of the drums. I haven't see this for several years now and since the EPA said asbestos was cancer forming I would be surprised if the machine is still available. anyway it was the best way to get a good fit on the shoes and drums and provide for complete contact.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:45 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Yet another reason to convert to disks...