Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1971 Front drum brake shoes not returning

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Gasoline
1st Gear Member

Default 1971 Front drum brake shoes not returning

Hello!

I have installed new parts in the front drums. The problem was that the right cylinder was broken causing the car to vibrate when braking. It also contained water for some reason.

Now to the new problem: Both drum brake shoes does not fully return causing the shoe to be in contact with the inside of the drum. It only disappears when I bleed the brakes and when the car has been sitting for a day. Then you can easily push the car. I have never experienced this before and the hoses are not old - besides this was not an issue on boths sides before changing parts.

What do you say? More air in the system (my theory)? bad hoses because of the water? Master cylinder gone bad? Is the self adjusting system the issue?

Thomas
Old 10-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Gasoline
1st Gear Member

I should say the the car is fully driveable, but itīs obvious that the shoes are not fully returning after driving.

Only after bleeding the system and after the car has been sitting for a while. I also adjusted the gap to the drum, but still the same problem.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Gasoline
1st Gear Member

Some more information: just found a lot of mud in the rear chamber that feeds the front brakes. Maybe this is blocking the system and causing the problem?

Another theory is that I took the car for a test the other day after bleeding the system without building a lot of pressure into the brakes. Maybe the self adjusting system pushed the shoes to close to the drums?

Any ideas?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:32 AM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

Were all of the springs replaced? The sediment certainly could stop the fluid from returning. If there is that much you will want to flush the whole system really good until all of it is out. I think with a bunch of fluid flushed through there the problem should go away. If not, the master may need to be replaced. The question is also, why is there mud in there. There should not be any obviously.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:08 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Contaminated brake systems are not good and your taking your life into your hands if your driving in that condition. The mud your talking about is probably brake dust and other contaminates from the system and or deteriorated rubber components. For safety sake change all the hydraulic and rubber parts, and flush the system with DOT 4 or earlier fluid.

Regarding your question:
No, self adjusters, if properly installed do not keep the shoes from returning.

The job of the springs on the brake shoes is to bring the shoes back to the posts upon hydraulic fluid pressure relieving from the wheel cylinder.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:32 AM
Gasoline
1st Gear Member

Hi,

all of the springs were replaced. I have flushed the system with new oil and sucked up the sediment. Altough I have bled the system we found much more air this time. We also noticed that one shoe (front left shoe) did not fully return unless we bled the system.

I took the car for a spin and I noticed that the self-adjustings were doing their job by clicking. Before I drove I could not hear the shoes touching the drums and I thought that the air had caused the problem and especially the problem with the front left shoe. But afterwards I could hear that both shoes on the front brakes where sligthly touching the drums.

I have to lift up the car and spin the wheels in order to tell if the problem remain. If so, Iīm gonna change the gaskets on master cylinder and see if something is blocking the system and causing the problem with the shoes not returning and especially the front left one not returning. If the master cylinder is causing the problem, then it should be more noticeable on the left brake since this one is closer to the master cylinder?

But maybe the problem is solved and the self-adjusting just did itīs job. I have heard that the shoes should slightly touch the drum. Iīll update you when I lift up the car.

Any more ideas?

Last edited by Gasoline; 10-29-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:47 AM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

yeah there should be slight resistance or audible sound when a drum/wheel is spun by hand. I am confused on the adjusters though. I thought they should only adjust when going back ward stopping (like pulling out of a driveway) and I don't know how they could possibly be heard. If some how they are adjusting going forward which I have no idea how that would be possible, that would be your problem.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:30 AM
Gasoline
1st Gear Member

Ok,

but donīt you think the problem is hydralic? That something i blocking the oil causing the shoe not to fully return. Or could the new springs be to soft?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 AM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

Not if the adjusters are working going forwards somehow. Every time the brakes are actuated they would tighten up and eventually not be able to move. Again, you should not be able to hear them and they should not be adjusting going forwards. Yes it could be hydraulic, it could be parts failure or wrong parts but what you described with hearing the adjusters has me confused. I don't even know if they can be installed backwards like that. If your still having issues run it to a shop that will check them out for free. Many do and brakes is not something you want to mess around with if you don't know 100% what you are doing.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Make sure your shoes are in the correct position...primary and secondary.

Quick Reply: 1971 Front drum brake shoes not returning